These delicious sweet potato grilled cheese bites are easy no bread gluten free appetizers that your guests, friends and family will totally love.
I’ve told this story to anyone who will listen, but here I go telling it again. When I was a kid, grilled cheese was pretty much one of the only foods I would eat. I mean, what kid wouldn’t get excited about buttery bread and cheese?! Well one day, my mom over-browned the bread in the pan and I got so upset about it, I asked her to “wash” the grilled cheese because it looked dirty to me. Now, of course today I know that brown = flavour and I will take as much brown as my pan will give me, but back then, that logic seemed strong.
While I still love bread (like, a lot), I have been experimenting with sweet potato toast so much that I thought it would be fun to swap sweet potatoes for bread in these adorable sweet potato grilled cheese bites. These are the best thing since sliced bread.
How to Make Sweet Potato Grilled Cheese Bites
This is a really simple recipe, so you have to use high quality ingredients. It starts with a truly good quality cheese and my go to is Alexis de Portneuf from Quebec. These cheeses are all natural, hand-crafted, and award-winning, and pair beautifully with food, dessert and wine. I also love that each cheese comes with a “taste guide” sticker on the package which gives you information on the intensity (milk, medium, or strong), texture (rich, firm or creamy), and flavour (rustic, robust or zesty).
In these amazing Sweet Potato Grilled Cheese Bites I decided to use my favourite cheese, St. Honoré. This is a triple cream brie that is crazy soft, creamy, rich and buttery with a mild flavour perfect with sweet potatoes. I pair it with a little sliced pear and a chardonnay for an adult take on a childhood classic.
These gluten free, bread free Sweet Potato Grilled Cheese Bites are perfect for entertaining guests but kids also gobble them up. And feel free to experiment with a variety of Alexis de Portneuf cheeses – this recipe would be amazing with the Camembert as well!
So I want to know from you, what’s your favourite cheese for making grilled cheese?
Have you tried these Sweet Potato Grilled Cheese Bites?
Leave me a comment below with some of your top grilled cheese tips!
Disclaimer: This recipe was developed in paid partnership with Alexis de Portneuf, however, all opinions are genuine.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted grass fed butter
- 2 mm large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 4 rounds
- 200 gram Wheel of Alexis de Portneuf
- 1 red pear thinly sliced
- Heat half of the oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet and add in the sweet potato rounds in batches. Brown on each side for about 2-3 minutes per side before transferring to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add a slice of cheese (about 3 mm thicon top of half of the sweet potato rounds, top with a thin slice of pear and the other sweet potato round.
- Heat the remaining butter and oil in the skillet and pan fry again until the cheese melts and the grilled cheese is golden on the outside. Enjoy!