This recipe for Charred Brussels Sprout Salad with Pickled Mangos and Peanut Sauce is a crowd-pleasing favourite that’s naturally gluten free, dairy free and vegan!
When I was growing up, my mom knew that she could pretty much get us to eat anything if we just threw a little peanut sauce on there and called it a day. Chicken was a no-brainer, but even brussels sprouts were a done deal with creamy, spicy, sweet, and salty peanut sauce. Now, I’m all grown up and I definitely don’t need coercion to help me eat my veg, but peanut sauce is a welcome addition to virtually any meal.
[clickToTweet tweet=”This Charred Brussels Sprout Salad with Peanut Sauce is my go-to year-round salad!” quote=”This Charred Brussels Sprout Salad with Peanut Sauce is my go-to year-round salad!”]
How to Make Charred Brussels Sprout Salad with Pickled Mangos and Peanut Sauce
I start my quick pickling some mango to add a tangy bright bite to my Charred Brussels Sprout Salad with Pickled Mangos and Peanut Sauce. A combination of maple syrup, rice vinegar and a crazy hot chili add a real pop of flavour to this salad.
Next, I roast brussels sprouts and shallots in crazy hot heat until they’re blistered, caramelized and sweet.
Finally, the main event- the peanut sauce, brings the whole salad together like a dream. Peanuts and peanut butter not only taste ah-maz-ing, but also pack heart-healthy plant sterols and a combination of fibre, protein and monounsaturated fats to keep you satiated longer. Salty, creamy, sweet and spicy, I could eat a pair of Crocs if it had enough peanut sauce on top. But this Charred Brussels Sprout Salad with Pickled Mangos and Peanut Sauce is far better than a pair of shoes. It may be vegan, dairy free and gluten free, but it’s legit my favourite dish du jour.
If you want to find more amazing recipes using peanuts, check out the Peanut Bureau of Canada website here!
Now, I want to know, what are your favourite salad combinations?
What do you love putting peanut sauce on?
Have you tried making my Charred Brussels Sprout Salad with Pickled Mangos and Peanut Sauce?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Disclaimer: this recipe was made in paid partnership with Peanut Bureau, however, all opinions are genuine.
Charred Brussels Sprout Salad with Pickled Mangos and Peanut Sauce
Quick Pickled Mango:
- 2 mangos peeled, pitted and sliced into strips
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 red chili sliced in half
- 2 lbs brussels sprouts bottoms trimmed, outter leaves removed and cut in half
- 8 medium shallots sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper thinly sliced
- ½ cup Cilantro
- 1/2 cup peanuts crushed
- Place the mangos and hot pepper in a glass container with a lid.
- In a small saucepan set over medium high heat, bring the rice vinegar, water, maple and salt to a boil. Pour the mixture over the mangos and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 500 F and preheat two baking sheets in the oven.
- Mix the brussels sprouts with the shallots, oil and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Toss well and transfer to the heated baking sheets. Roast, flipping and turning once, for about 20 to 25 minutes or until tender and charred. Season the brussels sprouts with salt and pepper and allow to cool.
- Mix the cooked brussels sprouts with the quinoa, bell peppers, and pickled mango. Drizzle with the dressing and top with crushed peanuts and cilantro.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.