This Cocoa Chilli Flank Steak with Chocolate Almond Pesto is a surprisingly delicious way to treat your loved one this Valentine’s Day!
I know what you’re thinking. Chocolate on steak? Yes, I’m going there, folks. I’ve done it before with my amazing Beef Tenderloin with Port and Chocolate Jus and I’m going back in for more with this gorgeous Cocoa Chilli Flank Steak with Chocolate Almond Pesto.
Chocolate is a non-negotiable when it comes to Valentine’s day in my books. While it’s been long touted as a powerful aphrodisiac, I just say it makes me happy which is usually the first step in helping me get in the mood. But why leave chocolate to the last course? Valentine’s Day is all about indulging our hedonistic whims, and for me, that means chocolate ALL.DAY.LONG.
How to Make Cocoa Chilli Flank Steak with Chocolate Almond Pesto
So it all starts with a gorgeous piece of meat. I like flank steak because it’s surprisingly lean and takes mere moments to cook in a hot pan or grill. So I start the Cocoa Chilli Flank Steak party off with a decadent rub made with a combination of spicy chilli, espresso and Green & Black’s Organic cocoa powder.
Don’t be scared about the cocoa, folks. Think mole in this recipe, not mousse. Adding cocoa doesn’t make it sweet, it actually just leaves you with this rich meaty flavour that compliments the beef really well.
But then we get into the fun part- the Chocolate Almond Pesto. Pesto is a really simple recipe so like all simple recipes, we want to make sure we use the best quality ingredients. I like using Green & Black’s chocolate because it’s made with fair trade organic ingredients and is honestly like the Mercedes of chocolate. They have twelve different varieties, but I like this 85% Dark Chocolate for this Chocolate Almond Pesto because it has the perfect balance of bitter and sweet to balance out the nutty almonds and salty parmesan.
Assuming you don’t totally overcook the steak (always use a thermometer!), this Cocoa Chili Flank Steak with Chocolate Almond Pesto is actually a fairly fool proof meal.
And if you’re still thinking “Hey Abs, Cocoa Chilli Flank Steak with Chocolate Almond Pesto” sounds pretty haute cuisine, let me assure you that THAT’S THE POINT. We want our partner to think we dreamt this Michelin Star Guide dish up in our brilliant minds (he/ she doesn’t have to know about little old me).
Don’t believe me? Try it for yourself, but first let me know:
Have you ever used chocolate in a savoury recipe?
What’s your favourite chocolate recipe?
Have you tried this Cocoa Chilli Flank Steak with Chocolate Almond Pesto?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Chilli Cocoa Rubbed Flank Steak with Chocolate Almond Pesto
- ½ cup raw almonds toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- 3 tbsp Green & Black’s 85% Dark Chocolate finely grated
- ¼ cup parmigiano reggiano cheese finely grated
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Lemon zest
- Pinch of fleur de sel
- In a bowl, mix together the Green & Black’s cocoa powder, espresso, coconut sugar, chili, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Score both sides of the steak by making a diamond pattern of shallow cuts. Rub the steak generously with the spice mix and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet over high heat until super hot. Add the steak and cook for about 4 minutes per side for rare. Once cooked, allow it to rest on the cutting board, tented, for at least 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pulse the almonds and parsley in a food processor until they reach a coarse ground up consistency. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Green & Black’s Organic chocolate, cheese, oil and salt and pepper, to taste.
- To serve, slice the steak thinly against the grain and top with a sprinkle of fleur de sel. Serve with the pesto garnished with a shaving of lemon zest. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: This recipe was developed in paid partnership with Green & Blacks chocolate, however, all opinions are genuine.