I recently got chatting with the folks at Steam Whistle who have teamed up with Chef Kevin Dougal at Duke Pubs to create their hearty Chicken curry Karma Masala using Steam Whistle Pilsner. Steam Whistle is a natural pairing for the rich spicy food because its malty sweetness and hoppy bitterness refreshes the palate and quenches thirst, while not overwhelming or masking the dish’s bold flavours. The effervescence from the carbonation also helps to cut through spicy, oily foods and leaves you ready for the next fiery bite.
In celebration, why not spice up for your life with this chicken curry recipe for Duke Steam Whistle Chicken Karma Masala made with Steam Whistle Pilsner and created by the Duke Pubs’ Corporate Chef Kevin Dougal.
Chicken Curry + Beer = Happy
I have also teamed up with Steam Whistle to give away an amazing $200 giveaway prize pack to help you make your own curry at home that includes:
•$25 gift certificate to Duke Pubs
•Duke of York Curry Kit (including Rhubarb Chutney and a Duke Pubs Curry Blend)
•4x Steam Whistle Brewery tour passes
•Dufflet chocolate pack
•4x Steam Whistle 20oz glasses
To enter, you must be a GTA resident and do one or more of the following (Ps: the more you do, the more times you’ll be entered!)
1)Follow me on twitter
2)Like my page on facebook
3)Tweet about the contest tagging @AbbeysKitchen @Steamwhistle
4)Subscribe to my YouTube channel
5)Follow me on Instagram
6)Sign up for my weekly newsletter
7)Leave me a comment below on this blog post about what curry dish you want to recreate at home!
8)Leave me a comment on any other Abbey’s Kitchen blog post.
Good luck to all of my readers who love chicken curry- and give this recipe a try! For more information on Steam Whistle, check out their website here and also check out Duke Pub’s website here.
Duke Steam Whistle Chicken Karma Masala
- 3 lbs Chicken Thighs 1.5 Kg, boneless and skinless
- 10 oz thinly sliced cooking onions 300g
- 1/8 oz chopped fresh thyme 4g
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped ginger 15 g
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped garlic 15 g
- 5 Tbsp Duke Pubs curry powder 75 g
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil 120ml
- 6 1/2 cups water 1 1/2 L
- 17 oz Steam Whistle Pilsner 1/2 L
- 1 lb diced peeled potatoes, 0.5Kg
- 1/2 cup corn starch 120ml
- 1/2 cup cold water 120ml
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 oz Duke Pubs Rhubarb Chutney 45g
- 1 oz green onions 30g
- 1 oz tomatoes (peeled, seeded, chopped), 30g
- Naan bread
- 7 oz basmati rice
- Mix chicken, onions, thyme, ginger, curry powder, garlic and 1/4 cup of vegetable oil. Let marinate overnight.
- Heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil in a heavy pot until smoking hot.
- Add marinated chicken and sauté until the chicken is browned.
- Deglaze with Steam Whistle Pilsner and bring to a boil.
- Add water and diced potatoes and boil until potatoes are tender.
- Once potatoes are tender, add cornstarch by mixing with cold water and bring to a boil to cook starch.
- Check seasoning and add salt to taste.
- Prepare basmati rice as per package directions.
- Chop green onions and peel and chop tomatoes.
- Warm naan in oven as per package directions.
- Serve curry with a side of basmati rice, sprinkled with green onions and tomatoes, a spoon of chutney and a few pieces of naan.
Updated on June 7th, 2017
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.