These Gluten Free Maple Sausage and Brussels Sprouts Tacos with Apple Ginger Salsa and Maple Crema are a cozy twist on a Mexican favourite.
I don’t have the reference handy, but research suggests that eating anything in a taco shell just makes it taste better. Okay, so the sample size was one, and it was me, but HEY- you believed it, right?!
Well, when I plan taco night, I almost always have the same tasty offenders make their way to the dinner table. Corn tortillas. Avocados. Salsa. Jalapenos. Lots and lots of lime. You know the drill. But I wanted to switch things up a bit by adding some of my favourite hearty Canadian flavours to make these Gluten Free Maple Sausage and Brussels Sprouts Tacos.
How to Make Gluten Free Maple Sausage and Brussels Sprouts Tacos
Taco night needs to be easy, so I start this recipe with one of Mann’s Nourish Bowls. We all know we need to eat more veggies (yes, even on taco night) and these pre-washed, chopped and ready to heat blends of veggies make it super convenient. I’ve written about these bowls before (check out this amazing Paleo Cauli-rice bowl here), but in this recipe for Gluten Free Maple Sausage and Brussels Sprouts Tacos I use their new Bacon Maple Delight flavour. It’s loaded up with Brussels sprouts, kale, and kohlrabi, along with real bacon and a sweet maple glaze that acts as my flavourful sauce in the taco filling. Easy? Oh yes.
You could totally enjoy these tacos completely vegan or vegetarian meal (just omit the bacon from the Nourish Bowl), but I like adding some low-fat turkey sausage to bulk it up.
Next I make a zippy apple ginger salsa to add crunch and a flavourful bite, as well as a simple cumin scented maple crema (made with high protein skyr yogurt!) to bring everything together. Sorry avocado, but not all tacos need you on board to totally rock.
If you want to give these Mann’s Nourish Bowls a try, check out their website here. And don’t limit yourself to just making these Gluten Free Maple Sausage and Brussels Sprouts Tacos. When I’m sick of cold salads, I rely on these bowls to help me get my lunchtime veggies in so experiment with the line to find your fave.
Now, I want to know:
What’s your go-to taco night filing?
Have you tried my Gluten Free Maple Sausage and Brussels Sprouts Tacos?
What would help you eat more veggies each day?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Gluten Free Maple Sausage and Brussels Sprouts Tacos
Apple Ginger Salsa:
- 8 small corn tortillas toasted
- 1 red Thai chili finely minced (if desired)
- ¼ cup crushed pistachios
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat and add in the oil. Cook the turkey sausages until browned then add in the veggies from the Mann’s Bacon Maple Delight Nourish Bowl (reserving the sauce). Cook until the brussels sprouts begin to soften, about 7 minutes. Add in the sauce packet and cranberries and toss until well combined. Season with a pinch each of salt and pepper and keep warm.
Apple Ginger Salsa:
- In a bowl, mix together the apple, mustard, ginger, lemon, oil, cumin and salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the yogurt, maple, oil, lemon, cumin, chili and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- To serve, load up the corn tortillas with the taco filling. Top with the apple salsa, maple crema, chili and pistachios. Enjoy!
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.