I share my recipe for this amazing pistachio protein green tea nice cream with just a handful of healthy ingredients and no added sugar for an easy balanced dessert or snack.
Ask me what my all-time favourite dessert is and I would DEFINITELY say ice cream. I would eat ice cream in a BLIZZARD and not complain. And while I have no qualms about a nightly scoop of the real deal, I sometimes need something a little more satiating and balanced for a mid-day or midnight snack. I love this pistachio protein green tea nice cream because it combines two of my favourite ice cream flavours – pistachio and green tea into one vibrantly colourful and nourishing treat. It’s legit breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack or dessert approved.
How to Make Pistachio Protein Green Tea Nice Cream
To make this protein nice cream, I start by making an easy homemade pistachio butter which is as delicious as it is beautiful. I love using Roasted Unsalted Wonderful Pistachios in this recipe because they have an amazing satisfying crunch, creamy texture and rich flavour. Like all pistachios, they also have a winning combination of fibre, protein and fat which helps curb my hunger between meals and at night. I always have pistachios in my gym bag, purse and diaper bag for smart snacking, but they really take this nice cream recipe to the next level.
To put this pistachio protein green tea nice cream together, I simply puree together cottage cheese for protein, frozen ripe bananas for sweetness, a little matcha for antioxidants and colour, and that beautiful green pistachio butter until it reaches a soft serve-like consistency. Delicious just right out of the food processor (seriously, not every snack or meal has to go on Instagram), but you can make it super photogenic with a sprinkling of pistachios, matcha, and tropical fruit.
It’s an amazing balance of sweet and savoury with massive flavour in every bite. I also love that this pistachio protein green tea nice cream has no added sugar (since the banana is naturally sweet!) so I even share it with Baby E (when I’m in a generous mood, of course).
If you liked this post, you may like:
Now tell me – what is your all-time favourite ice cream flavour?
Are you a fan of green tea ice cream or pistachio ice cream?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts and share this with someone who needs a way to get their ice cream fix!
Pistachio Protein Green Tea Nice Cream
- Pistachio Butter:
- ½ cup shelled Roasted Unsalted Wonderful Pistachios
- 3 tbsp pistachio oil or melted coconut oil
- Ice Cream:
- 2/3 cup low sodium 2% cottage cheese
- 1 cup frozen very ripe bananas
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- Agave or honey optional to taste
- Matcha powder sifted for garnish
- Roasted Unsalted Wonderful Pistachios shelled and minced
- Passion fruit raspberries, starfruit, or dragon fruit
- Add the pistachios and oil to a high powdered mini food processor or blender and process until very smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- Combine the cottage cheese with the bananas, matcha, agave or honey to taste if using, and 2 tbsp of the pistachio butter. Process until smooth like frozen yogurt.
- Transfer to a container to freeze if you prefer a scoopable ice-cream like consistency, or transfer to a bowl to enjoy right away for a more soft-serve consistency.
- Top with additional pistachio butter, a sprinkle of matcha, minced pistachios and fruit.
Updated on July 21st, 2020
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.