The resulting dish is a little lighter for you and your family than your typical grilled dinner but it packs more of the satiating protein than a basic corn succotash recipe.
I’ve been searching for a great succotash recipe for ages, but have found they all pretty much read the same. Lots of corn, maybe a few other veg like tomatoes, and not much else. I thought it would be fun to add some summer flair to my succotash recipe with a little grilled shrimp and summer peaches. Throw in a little of my favourite BBQ sauce and I have a complete meal.
A Succotash Recipe with Protein!
Shrimp is so easy to cook on the grill and takes so little time to pull off, and this succotash recipe is so easy as is, it would have been silly not to throw some of those juicy shrimp on top. In this recipe, I use one of my favourite sauces, Bear Claw, which adds the smoky addition of Chipotle to this healthy shrimp dish. You can add whatever kind of sauce you like, or just leave it as is and let the vegetables flavour shine. That savoury bite also helps me to balance out the sweetness of the corn, lima beans and fresh peaches. OMG, it’s really good.
The resulting dish is a little lighter for you and your family than your typical grilled dinner (a 16 oz porterhouse or fatty pulled pork) but it packs more of the satiating protein than a basic corn succotash recipe.
Serve this low fat, high protein dish alongside a cup of Gazpacho or some grilled asparagus and you’ve got a perfectly balanced meal! I also like serving this succotash recipe for company and putting it out buffet style to enjoy together. It’s a super casual dish that deserves a super casual dining environment – the ultimate Summer scenario.
Do you have a favourite succotash recipe that needs a protein boost? What kind of vegetables or fruit do you like seeing in your succotash? Leave us a comment below with your favourites!
Shrimp Succotash Recipe with BBQ Chipotle Peaches
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups cobs of corn husked and silks removed (about 1 1/2 of corn kernels)
- 2 bell peppers cut into quarters
- 2 zucchini sliced in half lengthwise
- 3 peaches sliced in half and pitted
- 1 lb large shrimp deveined and peeled
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp Bear Claw BBQ sauce
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Brush the corn, bell peppers, zucchini and peaches with olive oil and season with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Grill until tender and slightly charred on all sides, about 9 minutes for the corn, 6 minutes for the zucchini and bell pepper, and 2 minutes for the peach. Remove from the grill. Once cool enough to handle, peel away the charred skin from the pepper. Dice all of the vegetables and remove the corn from the cob. Set aside.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper, anchor them onto a skewer and brush with the Bear Claw BBQ sauce. Grill on both sides until cooked through and opaque, about 1-2 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Heat the 1 1/2 tbsp. of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add in the black beans and lima beans and toss until warmed through. Season with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Add in the cooked vegetables, the lime juice, and the additional 1/4 cup of Bear Claw BBQ sauce. Toss to coat.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, remove from the heat, garnish with the queso cojita and cilantro (if using) and top with the grilled shrimp skewers.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.