But hey, not too light- life’s too short to eat an unripe banana for breakfast every day. But that is exactly why I decided to grill that fruit up, slather it in rum and serve it with a boozy tropical healthy french toast. Can I get a hell ya?
Grilling Up a Healthy French Toast
This healthy french toast recipe begins with a low calorie Coconut Almond milk (50 calories/cup), thinly sliced whole grain bread, a combo of a whole egg and egg whites and lots of fresh tropical fruit. Since the summer is upon us, I’ve decided to bust out a little rum (why not?) and the ol’ grill for this recipe to keep this even leaner and healthier. Yep, you heard me. You can grill your French toast, which means no need for all that butter in the pan.
You’ll also notice that the serving size of this healthy french toast is set to one slice per person, but pumped up the portion by adding lots of sweet caramelized fruit that fulfills that need for something sweet so you can skip the sugar-laden syrup. Add a little greek yogurt or a poached egg on the side, and you’ve got a well-balanced breakfast that feels (and tastes) utterly indulgent.
Do you have a healthy french toast recipe you love? What’s your favourite indulgent brunch dish you’d like to see me make over? Leave me a comment below and I’ll get on it STAT!
Grilled Healthy French Toast with Tropical Honey Rum Fruit (Dairy Free)
Honey Rum Fruit
- 8 slices pineapple 1/2 inch thick
- 2 large bananas cut in half
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp toasted finely shredded unsweetened coconut for garnish
- Whisk together the egg, egg whites, Unsweetened Coconut-Almond Milk Blend, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, dark rum, honey and lime zest in a large shallow bowl.
- Dip slices of whole grain bread into the egg mixture, making sure both sides are covered in egg mixture.
- Cook slices on a pan or using a non-stick grilling sheet until golden brown on one side, and flip over to cook until golden brown on the other side.
Honey Rum Fruit
- Mix together honey, dark rum, cinnamon and lime zest in a large bowl.
- Add your fruit into the mixture and let marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Grill the fruit on a grill pan, or using a non-stick grilling sheet until golden and caramelized.
- Serve french toast with honey rum fruit and a nice sprinkle of finely shredded unsweetened coconut. Enjoy!
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.