Back in November I was on Marilyn Denis whipping up some great freezer meals and shared one of my family’s favourite recipes for gluten free chicken nuggets.
And a few weeks ago, I wrote a post on my top 5 tips for freezing meals– you can check that out here where I also shared my recipe for healthy Southwestern Meatloaf muffins. I’m telling you- they’re a perfect dinner the whole family will love and are great if you have independent kids who just need a quick healthy snack after school.
I don’t have kids, but I have a man, and usually when he gets home (even though I’ll be mid-dinner prep), he will bust into the kitchen in a panic for something to eat. It’s dramatic yes, but having these gluten free chicken nuggets on hand would really help alleviate the anxiety pretty quick.
This gluten free chicken nuggets recipe is a kid-friendly pick just like my meatloaf but we would be lying if we said we weren’t big fans ourselves. Who wouldn’t like a crispy golden brown piece of chicken?
Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets for the Freezer
Well, I have doctored up the classic version in my gluten free chicken nuggets by using whole grain old fashioned gluten free oats (high in fibre) rather than your traditional breadcrumbs, and rather than dosing the chicken in oil before breading, I coat it in flavourful mustard. That means mucho more flavour and virtually no calories. I usually use a grainy Dijon but sometimes use honey mustard if I want a touch more sweetness or ballpark yellow mustard for more tang. In all honestly, it doesn’t really matter much because the breading is so flavourful you can’t tell the difference.
What is your go to recipe for freezing? Have you tried making gluten free chicken nuggets? Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Freezer Friendly Healthy Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- To a food processor, add the garlic, oats, cheese, salt, paprika, herbs, and pepper. Process until the texture of course flour.
- Put the mustard in a plastic baggy and add the chicken. Rub until fully coated with the mustard.
- Put the oat mixture in another bag and then toss in the chicken. Shake until fully coated.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes, flipping the chicken once half way through.
- Allow to cool to room temp, then pop this on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and freeze until frozen solid (about 1 hour). Transfer to a freezer bag labeled with the date.
- When ready to eat, you can re-bake the nuggets from frozen for 8-10 min at 425 F or pop in the microwave for a 1-2 min.