A healthy bruschetta recipe for the holidays with red wine cherry and caramelized onion compote, topped with crushed pistachios.
We’re on the holiday home stretch but there’s still a ton of entertaining to do. Nowadays I find a lot more people swapping the traditional coursed sit-down meal for a more casual cocktail and nibble-fest, making easy hand-held recipes like this healthy bruschetta essential in your repertoire.
How to Make Healthy Bruschetta
Bruschetta is always a crowd-pleaser and an easy make-ahead bite you can serve at room temp. But guys, let’s get over the traditional tomato-version, which frankly just doesn’t taste like much in the dead of winter. My sweet and savoury red wine cherry onion jam makes the perfect topper on toasted baguette, and looks particularly festive with crushed pistachios, parmesan and plums.
I like to pair this healthy bruschetta recipe with Campo Viejo Reserva wine because it has notes of cherries, black plums and ripe blackberries along with clover, pepper, and vanilla. It has been aged in American and French oak casks so it pairs beautifully with mature cheese like parmesan, and really compliments those rich fruit flavours nicely.
If you’re making this in the wintertime, like I have, feel free to bust out a bag of sweet frozen cherries. I always have them on hand anyway for smoothies and putting in yogurt.
The result is a super light, healthy flavourful healthy bruschetta appetizer that leaves a little wiggle room for an extra glass of wine.
What’s your go-to holiday party appetizer? Leave me a comment below and I will lighten it up!
Healthy Red Wine Cherry and Caramelized Onion Bruschetta with Black Plums and Pistachios
- 1 whole grain baguette sliced on a bias into 12 1/4” slices
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- Fleur de sel
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion finely sliced
- 3 cups sweet cherries fresh or frozen and thawed, pitted
- 2 tsps honey
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup Rioja red wine
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- 3 black plums thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp pistachios crushed
- Parmesan shaved
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Brush the baguette slices with 1 tbsp. of oil and a sprinkle of fleur de sel. Toast on baking sheets until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the additional tsp. of oil to a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add in the onion and cook over medium-low heat until caramelized, and golden, about 25-30 minutes.
- Add in the cherries, honey, balsamic and red wine. Increase the heat and cook until the cherries easily smash with a spoon and the mixture looks jammy. Set aside.
- To serve, lay down a few thin slices of plum onto each piece of toast. Top with a layer of the cherry onion jam, a sprinkle of pistachios and a few shavings of parmigiano reggiano. Enjoy at room temperature.
Disclaimer: This recipe was developed in paid partnership with Corby Spirit & Wines, however, as always all opinions are genuine.