Hummus pizza may sound a bit like something you would dream up in College, but I promise, it makes an amazingly elegant and easy appetizer for entertaining.
Holiday entertaining can be stressful, overwhelming and incredibly time consuming. Between brining a turkey, baking pies, and cleaning the house to your in laws standards, you practically have to take the week off work to get it all in.
Appetizers should be the least of your worries. They should be the crutch a host can fall back on to allow them some time to enjoy the party they’ve put together, or to double check everything is in line for the big feast.
This Hummus Pizza Flatbread appetizer was inspired by a fun competition I participated in at the Sabra Hummus headquarters in Richmond, Virginia.
A small group of food media were challenged with the task of putting together our dream hummus flavour from a pantry of ingredients and then determining the ultimate winner. This recipe is essentially an upgraded version of the quick-fire snack I came up with on the spot that won me bragging rights and a fun hummus prize! So yah, you could call this an “award winning recipe”. I just call it an amazingly delicious hummus pizza with Middle Eastern flavours.
How to Make Hummus Pizza
It starts with my go to hummus, Sabra’s Roasted Pine Nut, which I love for its simple ingredient list, smooth consistency and balanced flavour. I then mix in some of my favourite Middle Eastern ingredients to yield a perfect combo of salty, sweet, tangy and richness- pretty much everything you could want in a small bite. And ta da! Hummus pizza.
This hummus pizza recipe is fantastic for entertaining, because it can be made well in advance, served at room temperature and really doesn’t change much if it sits out on the buffet. I also love that it’s vegetarian but still packs a great hit of fibre, protein and healthy fats- perfect for taking the edge off our ravenous appetites before an indulgent meal.
Feel free to get creative with your hummus flatbread toppers. Experiment with any of your pantry staples or even leftover ingredients from prior meals.
What would you want to try on your flatbread appetizer? Leave me a message below and I’ll give it a try myself!
Hummus Pizza Vegetarian Flatbread with Pomegranate & Feta
- 1/2 cup Sabra Roasted Pine Nut Hummus
- 1 tsp preserved lemon finely minced
- 3 tbsp pomegranate arils
- 6 kalamata olives finely sliced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 2 tbsp golden raisins
- 2 tbsp pine nuts toasted
- 1 Pinch Sumac
- 1 tsp pomegranate molasses
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Transfer the flatbreads to a baking sheet, brush with the olive oil and sprinkle with fleur de sel and za’atar. Bake for 15 minutes, or until it lightly crisps up. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the hummus with the preserved lemon.
- Spread the hummus mixture onto the two prepared flatbreads.
- Top the flatbreads with the pomegranate, olives, feta, raisins, pine nuts, a pinch of sumac and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses.
- Cut into wedges and enjoy at room temperature.
Disclaimer: This recipe was developed in paid partnership with Sabra Hummus, however, as always, all opinions are genuine.