Our favourite healthy pumpkin recipes to help you use your leftover pumpkin from the holidays and Thanksgiving!
Pumpkin recipes, especially pumpkin pie are Thanksgiving and Christmas staples. The not so great news is that you’re almost inevitably going to have some canned pumpkin leftover after you finish making your holiday dessert. If you made a few batches of one of my favourite healthy pumpkin recipes for pumpkin meringue mousse, you may have some leftover pumpkin you want to play with.
Don’t worry- I’ve got three easy pumpkin recipes to help you use up that half-empty can of the bright orange squash. You can also watch my full YouTube video here for the low down and don’t forget to subscribe to my channel. Why can’t all leftovers be as amazing as pumpkin leftovers?
Pumpkin pie- take that- these healthy pumpkin recipes for leftover pumpkin are going to rock your holiday socks off!
Healthy Pumpkin Recipes for Leftover Pumpkin
This healthy pumpkin recipe for pumpkin and black bean quesadillas will make you wish you had pumpkin leftovers every night of the week.
Pumpkin Black Bean Quesadillas
- Spread the tortilla on one side with pumpkin puree then top with beans, corn, pepper, cheese and avocado.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet, fold the quesadilla in half and pan fry on medium heat until golden on both sides.
There is never anything wrong with a healthy pumpkin recipe for pumpkin pancakes. These bad boys make getting through the colder winter so much tastier! You’ll never throw out pumpkin leftovers again!
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, spice and salt.
- In another bowl mix together the milk, pumpkin, syrup, butter and egg. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Lightly grease a nonstick skillet over medium heat and pour 1/4 cup of batter into the pan. Cook until you see bubbles around the sides and the pancake is golden brown, then flip and cook on the other side.
Pumpkin Shrimp Curry
Yes, yes, and yes. If you need a little something heartier and you have pumpkin leftovers, make this curry! It’s cozy, warm and super good for you- one of my all time favourite healthy pumpkin recipes.
Pumpkin Shrimp Curry
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 can diced tomatoes 15 oz can
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
- Cilantro for serving
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion and sauté until softened, about 6 minutes. Add in the garlic, ginger and curry powder and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in the tomatoes, pumpkin and coconut milk and cook until it begins to gently bubble. Then stir in the coconut milk, cauliflower, broccoli and simmer over medium low heat until the vegetables soften, about another 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the shrimp, lime juice and peas and cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until the shrimp are no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and serve with cilantro, if desired.
What are your favourite ways to use up leftover pumpkin after the holidays? What are your favourite healthy pumpkin recipes? Leave me a comment below with your go-to ideas!
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.