These vegan gluten free Baked Avocado Fries with Green Goddess Protein Dip is a vegan, gluten free appetizer perfect for St. Patrick’s Day!
Avocados are officially the world’s most loved fruit. Yes, even more popular than raspberries and way trendier than bananas. I’m personally obsessed with avocados and will always look for new ways to throw them into my life. These Vegan Gluten Free Baked Avocado Fries with Green Goddess Protein Dip are officially my new favourite way. They’re super green and perfect for a St. Patrick’s Day party as a vegan, gluten free appetizer that’s WAY better for you than the usual pub fare.
Why Avocados? Really, that’s a legitimate question?
Well, for one, avocados are green like the Irish!
For two, they’re packed with healthy monounsaturated fats and vitamins.
And most importantly, they’re magically delicious. Avocado is inherently super buttery, creamy and soft, so battering it up in a high fibre, gluten free crispy crunchy crust is a recipe for the best of all worlds. Smooth meet crunchy. Happy meet Abbey. See, we’re all good friends.
How to Make Vegan Gluten Free Baked Avocado Fries Super Crispy!
Yes, I know, this recipe is kind of genius and it starts with a flax egg as a vegan binding replacement for eggs. I’m not vegan, and I do love eggs, but a flax egg is a great way to add protein, fibre and healthy fats to your dish and it’s completely plant-based. I then use Chex cereal, pulsed into crumbs to make a gluten free panko alternative. I actually love Chex for eating, so this totally made sense.
How to Make Green Goddess Protein Dip for St. Patrick’s Day
Then, we need something to dip and it wouldn’t be St. Patrick’s Day without this wicked green goddess protein dip. I whip together high protein soft tofu with lots of fresh herbs, lemon and garlic to yield a tangy, herbaceous accompaniment to my crispy baked avocado fries.
This combo is a perfect healthy, vegan, gluten free appetizer for your St. Patrick’s Day parties that isn’t deep fried and swimming in oil.
Now, I want to know, what are you planning to make for St. Patrick’s Day?
Have you fried these Vegan Gluten Free Baked Avocado Fries with Green Goddess Protein Dip?
Are you a total avocado fan like me?
How to you like to eat your avocado?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Vegan Gluten Free Baked Avocado Fries with Green Goddess Protein Dip
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp oats pulsed into a powder in the food processor, gluten free if needed
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp table salt
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp water
- 3 cups Chex cereal or similar crispy rice cereal
- 2 firm avocados cut into 8 slices each
- Pinch fleur de sel
- Preheat an oven to 450 F and line a sheet pan with a nonstick cooking mat or parchment paper.
- Prepare three bowls. Mix the oat flour, cumin, chili, salt and pepper in one bowl and set aside.
- In the next bowl, mix the flax and water and set in the fridge to thicken for 15 minutes to make a “flax egg”.
- Add the chex cereal to the food processor and pulse into panko-like crumbs, then transfer to the third bowl.
- Dip the avocados into the oat mixture, then the flax egg, then the Chex cereal mixture. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until lightly golden brown, turning once half way through. Sprinkle with a pinch of fleur de sel.
- Meanwhile, place the tofu, garlic, lemon juice, chives, basil, parsley, Dijon, and maple syrup in the food processor and puree until very smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and set aside.
- Serve the avocado fries with the dip and enjoy.
Updated on April 30th, 2020
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.