This Vegan Lentil, Beet and Cherry Salad is a delicious Plant Based Gluten Free Salad recipe that’s perfect for entertaining of a satisfying weekday lunch!
My salad game has been fierce since I got pregnant. I guess it was because I was disgusted by hot foods for about 3 month straight (well, except pizza. I could eat pizza any way). Regardless, salad became the only way I would eat vegetables so I made sure to always have lots of fresh produce on hand. I also was kinda turned off meat for the first trimester so plant-based meals like this Vegan Lentil, Beet and Cherry Salad was a welcome change.
How to Make Vegan Lentil, Beet and Cherry Salad
This Vegan Lentil, Beet and Cherry Salad starts with the quick cooking pulse powerhouse, lentils. Honestly, I know everyone thinks that pulses are hard to cook from scratch, but lentils are a whole different beast. They’re pretty fool proof and take no more time than other whole grains. You also don’t have to soak them so you can make them on the fly without planning.
I then add in three different beets, both roasted and shaved raw, so that you get lots of pretty colours and textures. And because I always have frozen cherries on hand for a burst of natural sweetness, I throw a handful of those bad boys in, too.
If you want to make this Vegan Lentil, Beet and Cherry Salad even quicker, you can use canned lentils and swap the cherries in the vinaigrette for a squirt of maple syrup. Either way, you’ll have an impressive salad that will make the transition from indulgent food feast to veggie-reboot an absolute pleasure.
What do you like to eat to help reset your palate after an indulgent weekend?
Have you tried my Vegan Lentil, Beet and Cherry Salad?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts and ideas!
Vegan Lentil, Beet and Cherry Salad
- 1 cup 250 ml brown lentils, rinsed and dried
- 2 cups 500 ml water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp 15 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 6 small beets golden, red, candy cane or a mix, scrubbed
- 5 cups 1250 ml arugula
- ½ cup 125 ml fresh or frozen (thawed) cherries, pitted
- ¼ cup 60 ml pistachios, crushed
- 1.5 oz vegan soft cheese crumbled
- Combine the lentils and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer over medium low heat. Cook the lentils for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until tender, then generously season them with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 F. Toss three beets (different colours, if desired) with a bit of olive oil and wrap each in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet and roast until tender when poked with a knife, about 45 to 60 minutes. When cool enough to handle, rub with a paper towel to remove the skins, and cut into random wedges and cubes.
- Using a mandoline or a sharp knife, thinly slice the remaining three beets into thin round slices. Set aside.
- Prepare the dressing by transferring ½ cup cherries, balsamic, olive oil, Dijon, herbs de province, salt and pepper to a food processor. Puree until smooth.
- To assemble the salad, mix together the arugula, cooked lentils and toss with dressing. Top with the cooked beets, thinly sliced beets, cherries, chevre and pistachios.
Updated on November 22nd, 2019
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.