These Vegan Nutella Protein Pancakes make a delicious Healthy Gluten Free Valentine’s Day Breakfast Recipe for a plant-based breakfast in bed!
You guys know I love writing protein pancake recipes, and with Valentine’s Day around the corner, I couldn’t resist not coming up with a new one. These protein pancakes are not only totally Valentine’s Day appropriate, but are also perfect for celebrating National Nutella Day tomorrow! YAAAAS. As if the weekend wasn’t good enough, now you have a legit hallmark occasion where it’s basically mandatory to eat nutella.
On wednesday, I shared my recipe for my Vegan Nutella Cheesecake Chocolate Cups which are, I might add, CRAZY good, and today I’m back at you with something you can justify eating the moment you get up – my Vegan Nutella Protein Pancakes.
How to Make Vegan Nutella Protein Pancakes
This is my classic vegan protein pancake recipe that also happens to be gluten free and packed with fibre. I combine protein powder with cocoa, vegan yogurt, banana and a flax egg and cook these babies in a little coconut oil until golden brown.
To make my vegan nutella, I whip together hazelnuts, coconut oil, cocoa powder, and a little coconut sugar. Then I make a wicked mousse by blitzing it all up with some coconut cream. The vegan nutella is admittedly heavenly right on a spoon but worth keeping some around to layer these protein pancakes with.
I love these Vegan Nutella Protein Pancakes because they are obviously super indulgent feeling but they will keep you satiated for HOURS thanks to the combination of fibre, protein and good fats.
And yes, you can use regular nutella for this recipe (though it wont be vegan) and YES you can use whipped cream instead of coconut cream, and it will be equally amazing. But I know I get a lot of asks from my followers for more vegan and plant-based recipes, so I wanted to share the LOVE for Valentine’s Day.
So lovelies, have you tried making my Vegan Nutella Protein Pancakes?
What are you serving for breakfast in bed for Valentine’s Day?
How are you going to celebrate National Nutella Day?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Vegan Nutella Protein Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oats pureed into a flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate protein powder
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain almond yogurt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 prepared flax egg 1 tbsp ground flax with 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1 medium ripe banana mashed
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp hazelnut oil optional
- Coconut oil for cooking
- 2 cups strawberries sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- maple syrup to taste
- In a high speed blender, puree the hazelnuts with the coconut oil, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt until very smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the blender, puree the coconut cream with the nutella. Transfer to a piping bag.
- Mix together the oat flour, cinnamon, protein powder, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in one bowl. In another bowl, mix the vanilla, yogurt, almond milk flax egg, banana, maple and hazelnut oil, if using. Add the wet to the dry and mix until combined.
- Heat some coconut oil onto a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat and add 1/4 cup of batter to the pan. Cook until golden brown, then flip to the other side. Repeat with the remaining pancakes, keeping any finished pancakes warm in a 150 F oven if desired.
- To serve, layer the pancakes with the nutella mousse and strawberries and top with maple syrup and hazelnut crumbles, if desired.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.