This Wild Blueberry Bagel Bread Pudding with Whiskey Date Caramel is a perfect dairy free dessert for Canada Day featuring local Canadian ingredients.
I think there are two types of people in this world- those who love celebrating their birthday (ME!) and those who don’t. I don’t know Canada that well, but I would venture to say it’s on my team – especially this year. This year, Canada turns the massive 150 this July 1st and you can bet I’m going to be celebrating hard with the rest of the country.
But Canada Day doesn’t have to just be about beer and BBQ. It’s also a nice holiday to commemorate some of the delicious, local treats that grow and are produced here in our backyard. This Wild Blueberry Bagel Bread Pudding with Whiskey Date Caramel sauce is a great example. It’s an irresistible dairy free dessert using some of my favourite Canadian ingredients that your guests are totally going to love.
How to Make Wild Blueberry Bagel Bread Pudding with Whiskey Date Caramel
It starts with a good bagel. Canadians love their bagels, and while I am both Canadian, and Jewish (the biggest supporters of bread shaped as rings), I have to say- I’m not always a fan. I mean, I like them, but I would always rather go for a toasted slice of crusty baguette or hearty bread over a heavy, doughy bagel. So when I saw ACE Bakery had taken my go-to carb (baguette) and turned it into the beloved bagel shape, I was thrilled. ACE Bakery is proudly Canadian and is the Official Bread Partner of Ottawa 2017 for the celebration of Canada’s 150th Birthday so Baguette Bagels are perfect for a Canadian-inspired dessert. Like ACE’s baguette, their Baguette Bagel uses only five simple ingredients, and has no preservatives, which obviously you know I love. And while I love their Sesame bagel at breakfast with a little shmear of cream cheese, the Classic white makes a wicked cameo in my Wild Blueberry Bagel Bread Pudding with Whiskey Date Caramel.
Any bread pudding is a friend of mine, but I play up the Canadian theme in this one with local wild blueberries, black walnuts and delicious Canadian whiskey. The result is a Canadian comfort classic that’s perfect for celebrating Canada’s 150th birthday.
And speaking of celebrating, you can win a trip to Ottawa to enjoy a gourmet dinner in the Sky Lounge (150 feet in the air) by entering the ACE Bakery Great Canadian Discovery Contest. To enter, simply head on over to the DiscoverGreat.ca website and submit a photo of a recipe that combines your favourite ACE product with a Canadian twist.
Happy Canada Day to all of my fans and followers and I hope you try this Wild Blueberry Bagel Bread Pudding with Whiskey Date Caramel.
Now, I want to know:
How are you celebrating Canada Day and Canada’s 150th birthday?
Have you tried this bagel bread pudding?
What are your favourite Canadian ingredients?
Wild Blueberry Bagel Bread Pudding with Whiskey Date Caramel
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place the ACE bagel pieces on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 7 minutes, or until toasted.
- Combine the banana, milk, whiskey, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Add the bagel cubes, and toss in the mixture until well-coated. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add in the blueberries and walnuts, and transfer to a greased 9 inch square baking dish. Drizzle with the coconut oil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the dates and almond milk in a small saucepot and bring to a simmer, covered, over medium low heat. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the maple syrup, whisky and sea salt and stir on low for 5 minutes until gently bubbly. Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until very smooth.
- Serve warm with the date caramel, a dollop of coconut yogurt, wild blueberries and toasted walnuts.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.