Salmon Fritters with Sweet Potato (Baby Led Weaning Recipe)
These Salmon Fritters with Sweet Potatoes are a delicious high iron meal or snack and are also baby led weaning friendly. Easy super to make and are make-ahead friendly!
Servings 15 - 20 fritters
- ¾ lb salmon skin and bones removed and roughly chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato cooked
- 1 omega 3 egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus more for cooking
- ½ onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1¼ cup oats
- 2 cups baby spinach minced
Preheat oven to 350 F.
To a large skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil and add the onion, garlic and ginger. Saute for 2-3 minutes until soft then add to a food processor.
Return the pan to the heat and add in the spinach. Cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Set aside
To the food processor, add the salmon, egg, cooked sweet potato flesh (discarding the skins), onion, garlic, ginger and oats. Pulse until the mixture comes together, then add in the spinach. Pulse just until you see it mixed through.
Oil your hands and add another coating of oil to the pan. Roll the mixture into finger like fritters and pan-fry until golden brown. Transfer to a baking sheet. Continue with the remaining fritters, then finish in the oven until cooked to an internal temperature of 145 F, about another 10 minutes. Serve at room temperature or warm.
- Oiling your hands before shaping the salmon fritters helps prevents the fritters from sticking to your hands. It also gives the fritters a little bit of oil so you can pan fry them without adding oil to the pan.
- This recipe uses fresh salmon. While canned salmon is cheaper, something to take note of is the sodium levels in canned salmon. Some may have high amounts of sodium which is not recommended for babies.
- Since this recipe makes 15 to 20 salmon fritters, if you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days.
Calories: 73kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 31mg | Potassium: 202mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1630IU | Vitamin C: 1.8mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 0.7mg