Vegan Corn Spoonbread
This Vegan Corn Spoonbread is a the best gluten free easy side dish for a crowd that makes a great accompaniment to BBQ or for a savoury breakfast.
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup Quaker gluten free quick cooking oats
- ½ cup oat flour made by pulverizing quick oats in the food processor
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup plus 1 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1 398 ml can creamed corn
- ½ cup plus 1 tbsp vegan sour cream
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 ½ cups frozen or canned sweet corn
- 2 cups shredded vegan cheddar cheese divided
Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9” square baking pan.
In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, oats, oat flour, baking powder and salt.
Add in the melted butter, creamed corn, sour cream, maple, onions, whole corn kernels and 1 cup of the cheese. Mix until well incorporated.
Spread into the baking dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake for about 55-60 minutes or until the cheese is melted, and the edges are golden brown. Serve warm for spoonable bread or allow to cool completely if you want to cut it into more uniform pieces. Spoon bread will still be moist and soft.
Calories: 496kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 1026mg | Potassium: 413mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 694IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 117mg | Iron: 3mg