Best Spicy Vegan Black Bean Burgers
These are the Best Spicy Vegan Black Bean Burgers for a reason! They're PACKED with flavour, protein, healthy fats, fibre and even a little vegetables! Perfect for vegetarians and omnivores, alike!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 227 g mushrooms stems removed and cut into pieces
- 1 19 oz can about 2 cups black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp quick cooking oats gluten free if needed
- 1/2 – 1 ½ tsp chili powder depending on how spicy you like it
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp barbeque sauce
- 1 ½ tsp vegan worchestershire sauce soy sauce or gluten free tamari
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup ground flax
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp Olive oil for frying
- Burger buns
- Vegetables lettuce, tomato, pickles
- Sauce BBQ sauce, mustard, ketchup
Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium low heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 30 minutes until caramelized and golden. Add to a bowl.
Pulse the mushroom caps in a food processor until it looks like ground meat. Put in cheesecloth or a sieve and squeeze out the liquid as best as you possibly can. Add to the bowl.
Puree the black beans, oats, chili, cumin, paprika, BBQ sauce, worchestershire, sugar, yeast, flax, salt and pepper until fairly smooth. Add to the bowl.
Add the black bean paste to the onion, garlic and mushroom and mix well. Form into 4 patties and refrigerate the patties for 30-60 minutes.
Heat the olive oil over medium high heat and pan-fry on each side until golden brown. Serve on a bun topped with your favourite veggies and sauces.
Calories: 463kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 459mg | Potassium: 1129mg | Fiber: 20g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 153IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 6mg