Healthy French Toast Casserole
If you're in need of a breakfast casserole that is packed with with healthy fats, fibres and protein, then you need to try my Healthy French Toast Casserole! Delicious, dairy free, and perfect for brunch, you'll love this recipe!
Servings 12 servings
- 6 large omega 3 eggs beaten
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla oat milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 8 cups semi-stale whole grain raisin bread diced
- 2 medium apples diced
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup pecans
- 2 tbsp flax
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
Grease a square 9” baking dish.
To a bowl, mix together the eggs, oat milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
Place the raisin bread pieces into the baking dish, along with the diced apples, raisins, pecans, flax and hemp hearts. Pour the egg mixture over top and toss everything together. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
When ready to eat, preheat oven to 350 F.
Mix together the melted vegan butter and maple syrup and pour over the casserole. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until golden brown on top and there is some bubbling sweet sauce all around the edges. Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes before dishing in.
Serve with yogurt, fruit or more syrup.
- Ideally, you will want the bread to be a little bit stale so it can soak up the egg mixture. If the bread is not stale or dried out, you might end up with a casserole that's soggy.
- If you forget to prepare this healthy french toast casserole the evening before, it's not a huge deal! The longer you soak the bread in the custard, the softer it's going to be. If you forget the night before, just let it soak as long as you can (at the very least an hour!) in the morning before baking it off.
- This casserole will last for at least 4 days after baking, making it a great breakfast meal prep as well. When ready to eat, I warm it up in the microwave for a quick breakfast or snack and serve it with yogurt and fruit.
Calories: 597kcal | Carbohydrates: 99g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 630mg | Potassium: 503mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 410IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 195mg | Iron: 6mg