Healthy Cocktail Meatballs with Asian Hoisin Apple Glaze
These healthy cocktail meatballs with asian hoisin apple glaze as a lean, high protein, high fibre way to entertain this holiday!
Servings 24 people
- 1/2 lb cremini mushrooms roughly chopped (stems removed)
- 1 cup All-Bran Original cereal
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 2 tbsp green onions finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Sauce & Garnish
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tbsp apple butter
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Peanuts crushed
- Green onions thinly sliced
- Sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 400 F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
Using a food processor, pulse the mushrooms until they reach a ground meat-like consistency. Transfer to a bowl.
Add the All-Bran to the food processor and process until it reaches a powder. Add to the bowl.
Mix in the turkey, egg, garlic, toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, cilantro, green onions, salt and pepper. Roll into 24 balls and place on the baking sheet.
Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown on the outside, and fully cooked on the inside.
Sauce & Garnish
In a large sauce pan, combine the hoisin sauce, vinegar, apple sauce, apple butter, soy sauce and sesame oil and simmer over medium low heat until fully combined and thick.
Once the meatballs are cooked, add them to the pan with the sauce and toss until well coated.
Garnish with crushed peanuts, sesame seeds and sliced green onion.