Butternut Squash, Kale and Sausage Soup
This canned soup hack uses butternut squash soup. I add in leftover cooked turkey sausage, kale, frozen butternut squash, and cooked wild rice. Top it off with some toasted pumpkin seeds, sage and shredded apple and enjoy.
Servings 4 people
- 2 cans/boxes (1000ml total of ready to eat butternut squash soup)
- 4 cups finely chopped kale leaves
- 2 cups frozen butternut squash cubes
- 2 cups cooked wild rice not black wild rice
- 3 lean turkey sausages ~300g/12oz total, casing removed, crumbled and cooked
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 leaves sage finely minced
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 green apple finely julienne
In a medium saucepot, add the soup and heat over medium until hot. Add in the kale and cook for 5-10 minutes until softened, then add in the cooked rice and sausages and cook until warmed through and the kale is tender, about another 5-10 minutes. Set aside.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and add in the pumpkin seeds and sage. Cook until golden.
Divide the soup between four bowls and top with the seeds, sage and shredded apple.