Vegetable Spring Rolls with Cashew Dipping Sauce (Vegan!)
You will absolutely love my take on these Vegetable Spring Rolls. They are paired with a creamy cashew dipping sauce and packed with a hearty lentil and rice filling, making it an easy fuss-free appetizer or meal for hot summer nights
Servings 16 rolls
- 16 round rice papers
- 1 cup raw brown rice
- 1 can lentils rinsed and drained
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- 1 red beet peeled and grated
- 1 golden beet peeled and grated
- 1 bunch of mint
- 1 bunch of basil
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1/3 cup cashews toasted
Mix together the cashew sauce ingredients and set aside.
Cook the brown rice according to package directions and allow to cool. Mix in the lentils and sweet potato as well as half of the cashew sauce. Season with a pinch each of salt and pepper, to taste.
Fill a large bowl with warm water. Submerge the rice paper into the water for 2 seconds and transfer to a clean board or counter with the smooth side of the paper facing down.
Towards the bottom quarter of the roll add a pinch each of the shredded veggies, herbs and cashews. Top with a generous 1/3 cup or so of the rice and lentil mixture. Fold the left and right edges of the rice paper inwards, then starting at the bottom, roll it up to cover all of the filling. Serve hand held with the remaining cashew sauce.
- If you do not require this to be gluten-free, you can swap the tamari for soy sauce. The coconut sugar can also be swapped for honey.
- Make sure the rice paper has been fully submerged and is soaked through. It is not very malleable when dry as well as being not edible. I suggest using a large shallow plate to ensure the whole sheet can be soaked.
- Don't have all of the fresh herbs listed? Feel free to mix it up by using whatever you have at home or replace it with lettuce if you have no herbs. It will change the flavour profile of the vegetable spring rolls a bit.
Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 176mg | Potassium: 235mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 3441IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 2mg