High Protein Chicken Curry with Cauliflower and Sweet Potatoes
This delicious paleo chicken curry with cauliflower and sweet potatoes is one of my favourite gluten free one pot meals.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 4 - 6 people
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus 2 tsp divided
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs fat trimmed
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tsp ginger grated
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp dried coriander
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 bottle 680 mL tomato passata sauce/tomato puree
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and diced into 1/3-inch cubes
- 1 can of lite coconut milk 400 ml can
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into small florets (about 6-8 cups)
- 1 head rainbow chard ribs removed and cut into 3/4 inch (2 cm) pieces and leaves thinly sliced into ribbons
- 1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame (optional)
- sea salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup pistachios, crushed, if desired as garnish
- 1/4 cup golden raisins if desired as garnish
- cilantro if desired as garnish
- quinoa (optional) for serving
Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat and add in one teaspoon of oil. Season the chicken with a pinch each of salt and pepper and sear on both sides until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Once golden brown, transfer to a plate and set aside.
Return the pan to medium heat and add in the additional teaspoon of oil. Add the onion and sauté until it begins to soften, about 5-7 minutes. Add in the garlic, ginger, curry, coriander, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper to taste, and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Next, add in the tomato sauce and the sweet potatoes, cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 7-8 minutes, until the sweet potato pieces begin to soften.
Then nestle in the chicken thighs. Add the cauliflower, rainbow chard stems and then pour in the coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan with a lid and cook until the cauliflower and sweet potato softens, and the chicken thighs are cooked to an internal temperature of 165- 175 F, about 5-7 minutes.
Remove the lid and stir in the frozen edamame and rainbow swiss chard leaves. Taste, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover the pan with the lid again, until everything wilts down.
Lay on a bed of quinoa, and garnish with golden raisins, crushed pistachios and coriander.