These Vegan Protein Guacamole Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Spicy Crispy Chickpeas are a perfect balanced meal with protein, fibre, healthy fat and carbs!
I think it’s pretty clear right now that I’m a big sweet potato fan. Roasted, grilled, baked, mashed – Imma eat ALLLLL the sweet potatoes. However, under usual circumstances, sweet potatoes are served as a side dish – not a main! Not anymore. I wanted to switch things up and turn sweet potatoes into a main dish by stuffing them with a vegan protein guacamole and topping them with spicy crispy chickpeas.
How to Make Vegan Protein Guacamole Stuffed Sweet Potatoes?
This recipe is based on my usual avocado hack where I like to add beans to my avocado toast to bulk up the protein and fibre. I basically just puree some white beans together with avocado, and limes, then stir in some tomatoes, jalapenos and cumin. That alone is so delish, you’re going to want extra protein guacamole for eating with veggies and chips. But don’t stop there.
I roast (or microwave) a sweet potato, split it and then stuff it to the brim with this vegan protein guacamole.
How to Make Spicy Crispy Chickpeas for these Stuffed Sweet Potatoes?
Again, you’re going to love these spicy crispy chickpeas so much you’re going to want to make a double batch and serve them as a snack. The key to getting spicy chickpeas super crispy is to rub the chickpeas really well to pop them out of their skins. You don’t have to get all of them off, but this will help them get super dry enough to crisp up. Another secret to making spicy crispy chickpeas is to turn the oven off and let them sit in there for an hour to fully dry out. Play around with the spices on these crispy chickpeas, you’re going to love the result.
Can I Make the Protein Guacamole Ahead of Time?
You bet! I recommend just putting plastic wrap directly on top of the avocado to prevent browning.
Is This Vegan Protein Guacamole Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Spicy Crispy Chickpeas Gluten Free?
Yes! This recipe is completely gluten free, dairy free, nut free and vegan and therefore safe for people with a variety of diet restrictions.
This recipe is so easy and fast to pull together, and a great meatless Monday, and something the whole family will love!
Now tell me – what are you planning to make for meatless monday now that we’re back into the back to school routine! Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Vegan Protein Guacamole Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Spicy Crispy Chickpeas
- Protein Guacamole:
- 1 can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp lime juice or more to taste
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper finely minced
- 1/2 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp cumin or more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spicy Chickpeas:
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp fleur de sel
- Sweet Potatoes:
- 4 sweet potatoes pierced with a fork
- Cilantro for serving
- Lime wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 45-60 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, spread the chickpeas on a kitchen towel, top with another towel and rub the chickpeas until they pop out of their skins. Transfer the dried chickpeas to a baking sheet and toss with olive oil. Bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Toss with chili powder, cumin, and fleur de sel and return the baking sheet to the oven with the temperature off and leave the chickpeas in the oven, with the door closed until the pan is cool to touch, about 1 hour.
- Finally, before serving, puree the cannellini beans with the lime juice in a food processor. Transfer to a bowl and mash in the avocado. Gently stir in the tomatoes, jalapeno, cumin, salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, split the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and fluff the insides. Top with a generous dollop of the guacamole and the crispy chickpeas. Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges, if desired.