These Vegan Apple Crisp Stuffed Sweet Potatoes make the perfect gluten free healthy dessert for an easy weeknight treat the whole family is going to love.
I don’t have a lot of special recipes that I feel are synonymous with my childhood, but apple crisp is definitely one of them. My grandma Sharp used to make the most incredible apple crisp that made the whole house smell divine. Honestly, one of my biggest regrets as an adult is that I never got the official recipe from my grandma before she passed away. Having said that, I’m not really sure it ever would have tasted the same coming from me.
So while I know it will never compare, I wanted to come up with a healthier version that cuts back on the sugar while bumping up the fibre as it gets baked in a sweet potato “crust”. These vegan apple crisp stuffed sweet potatoes are naturally gluten free, and so light and balanced, you can totally justify them as breakfast.
How to Make Vegan Apple Crisp Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
To make these vegan apple crisp stuffed sweet potatoes, I start by baking off a bunch of sweet potatoes, and scooping out their tender insides. I bake a lot of sweet potatoes in this house for Baby E, so this is a GREAT use for their “jackets”. Don’t throw out the sweet potato flesh, obviously. Even if you don’t have a baby, it makes a perfect side dish with some cinnamon or is delicious in a smoothie or oatmeal.
I then dice up apples and toss them with lemon and cinnamon (so I drastically have cut back on sugar here), and then whip up a light fibre-rich apple crisp topping with rolled oats.
Finally, I stuff the sweet potatoes with the apple filling, top it all off with that crisp topping and bake them until golden brown. You can serve them as is for a personal sized dessert, or top them off with a little yogurt (dairy free, if needed) or coconut cream instead. I personally eat mine with a fork and knife, but you can totally get at these savage style like my hubby did and just pick it up like a taco LOL. Seriously, he wolfed down three halves standing over the kitchen sink that way. Not exactly mindful eating, but I can’t blame him (they’re THAT good.)
I know nothing will ever beat my grandma’s legendary apple crisp but I think she would approve of these vegan apple crisp stuffed sweet potatoes as a close second.
Now loves, tell me – what dish elicits the best food memories for you?
Have you tried making these Vegan Apple Crisp Stuffed Sweet Potatoes yet?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Vegan Apple Crisp Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 450 F and place the sweet potatoes on a baking tray. Bake until very tender and soft, about an hour. Remove from the oven, cut in half and scoop out the insides, leaving behind a few millimeters of sweet potato around the edges. Set aside for a side dish or smoothie.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375 F.
- In a bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice, cornstarch, cinnamon and vanilla. Place the sweet potato jackets onto a baking sheet and stuff the sweet potato jackets with the apple mixture.
- In another bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, butter and salt. Top the apple mixture with the crisp topping.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with vegan yogurt or coconut cream, if desired.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.