This Creamy Vegan Corn Soup Recipe is packed with protein from white beans and nutritional yeast, plus is naturally gluten free and loaded with veg.
We’re officially in summer and that means some of my all time favourite summer produce is coming into season – most notably CORN. It’s definitely one of our favourite veggies in the Summer. So when I had a lot of extra corn in the house, I figured I would whip up a super quick and delicious creamy corn soup recipe with added protein from beans and nutritional yeast.
Table of contents
Why This Recipe Works
Fresh sweet corn is not only super delicious when its in season, but as a whole grain and a vegetable, it’s kinda a two for one deal, making it a perfect base to this delicious summer soup recipe. I also love this recipe because it’s
- Rich in fibre (11 grams) and protein (17 grams)
- Packed with micronutrients including folate, potassium and vitamin C
- Kid and toddler friendly
- Completely vegan and naturally gluten free
Fresh or Frozen Corn – If you’re corn is in season, go ahead and use fresh! Just carefully remove the corn off the cob and place it in the pot. But if it’s not in season, or you’ve run out, canned or frozen corn works great too!
Non Dairy Milk – You can use whatever non flavoured, non sweetened non-dairy milk you like. This adds a little creaminess without any cream.
White Beans – White cannellini beans are amazing for adding creamy texture and protein (plus fibre) to this soup without any cream or dairy.
Nutritional Yeast – Nutritional yeast adds a good cheesy element to balance out the sweet corn.
Thyme– This is one of my favourite summer herbs and just adds a nice savoury note to balance out the sweet corn.
How To Make This Recipe
Step 1: Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and thyme and saute until fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
Step 2: Add the corn, broth, almond milk, nutritional yeast, and turmeric, if using. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the corn is soft.
Step 3: Transfer to a blender with cannelini beans, or puree using a hand blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Step 4: Garnish with a swirl of non-dairy milk, and top with fresh thyme and basil.
Looking for something to pair with this delicious creamy corn soup recipe? This soup would go beautifully with some bread, and salad for a simple and balanced lunch. Here are some ideas!
- Corn Spoon Bread
- Moroccan Chickpea Salad Wraps
Absolutely, feel free to use whatever your family has in the fridge for dairy or dairy alternative.
Nutritional yeast is a yeast that is a dead yeast, so it won’t rise your bread like baker’s yeast would. But it will add a lot of nutty, savoury, cheesy flavour. I always look for fortified nutritional yeast whenever possible which will have vitamin B12 in it (which is important for vegans). It’s also loaded with protein (2 grams per tablespoon) so it’s an easy way to sneak more plant based protein in.
This vegan corn soup recipe will last you about 4 days in the fridge. I just allow it to cool before transferring it to an air-tight container and popping it into the fridge.
Absolutely. I recommend doubling the recipe if you have enough corn (especially while it’s cheap and in season) and you can freeze it in a freezer bag for up to 6 months.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Can’t get enough of these summer soup recipes like this creamy corn soup recipe? We love summer soup around here! Both hot and cold. Check out some of my favourites.
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts and if you’ve tried this vegan creamy corn soup recipe!
Creamy Corn Soup Recipe | Vegan, High Protein
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 6 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 19 oz can white cannellini kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp turmeric optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coconut milk or almond milk for garnish
- Fresh thyme and basil for garnish
- Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and thyme and saute until fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the corn, broth, almond milk, nutritional yeast, and turmeric, if using. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the corn is soft.
- Transfer to a blender with cannelini beans, or puree using a hand blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with a swirl of non-dairy milk, and top with fresh thyme and basil.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.