These Gluten Free Vegan Patriotic Oatmeal Breakfast Bars are the perfect way to celebrate the 4th of July and Canada Day with red, white and blue or red and white colours!
Here at Abbey’s Kitchen, we like to equally celebrate our American and Canadian friends. While I will be celebrating Canada Day this July 1st, I know a lot of my readers will be celebrating the 4th of July so I like to be as inclusive as possible. These Gluten Free Vegan Patriotic Oatmeal Breakfast Bars are the perfect way to kick off your long weekend celebrations in the healthiest (yet tastiest) way possible and can be customized in your country’s red, white and blue or red and white colours!
How to Make Gluten Free Vegan Patriotic Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
These oatmeal breakfast bars may be themed perfectly for Canada Day or the 4th of July, but in reality, they have become a favourite breakfast any day of the week. Because they’re gluten free and vegan, they’re perfect for serving the masses, and because it’s easy to change up the colourful berries, you can make treats for both your Canadian and American friends.
These gluten free vegan patriotic oatmeal breakfast bars start with an oatmeal almond crust that is honestly good enough to eat on it’s own. I then add a layer of berries with a little sugar, cornstarch and lemon. This is where the customization comes into play. Strawberries or raspberries work best for my friends celebrating Canada Day, and a combination of strawberries and blueberries are for my 4th of July celebrating Americans.
Next, we make a quick streusel topping which is legit my favourite thing of life. Lots of oats, almond flour, flaxseed, and almonds make a satisfying crispy crunchy crust.
Finally, we need something white for our red, white and blue OR our culinary interpretation of the Canadian flag. Since it is a holiday, we can afford a little icing drizzle. This just adds a TOUCH of sweetness that really makes these gluten free vegan patriotic oatmeal breakfast bars a satisfying morning meal, snack or treat.
Become an Abbey’s Kitchen Subscriber
Now friends, tell me what you plan to make for 4th of July or Canada Day?
Which holiday will you be celebrating?
Have you tried making these gluten free vegan patriotic oatmeal breakfast bars?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Gluten Free Vegan Patriotic Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
- 1 cup berries strawberries for Canada Day and strawberries and blueberries for 4th of July
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper (like a maxi pad) so it hangs in either direction.
- In a bowl, mix the oats, almond flour, oat flour, maple, salt, cinnamon, coconut oil, and almond butter. Press into the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the berries on top, then top with a sprinkle of the cornstarch, lemon and sugar.
- In a bowl, mix together the streusel topping and scatter that on top.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely.
- In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla and almond milk and drizzle it on top. Cut into bars and enjoy.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.