WhileI share my favourite Gluten Free Vegan Protein Bars done 3 delicious ways, the best easy no bake post-workout snacks without the strange additives of so many options on the shelves!
So as you guys know, I’m kinda a gym junky. As I learned preparing for my wedding (you can read about my wedding diet and fitness routine here), making sure you’ve got really great pre and post-workout snacks is so important to helping your body recover and reap the benefits of your workout. I’ve recently shared a full 7-Day Fitness Recipe E-Book here, and man, these new No Bake Gluten Free Vegan Protein Bars deserve a daily spot!
How to Make No Bake Protein Bars
So this recipe was inspired by my collaboration with the adorable Sara Lynn from Domestic Geek. We decided to do a collaboration together and come up with some amazingly delicious and nutritious post-workout snacks. She made some AH-MAZ-ING energy bites (not balls, because as we discovered, you’re never too old to laugh at the word balls).
The key to making snacks is that they have to be easy, and these are ALL those things. I like to make a huge batch at the start of the week, pop them in the freezer, and have post-workout snacks for the month!
The base of these no bake protein bars is nut butter, maple syrup, protein powder, oat flour, dates and flax seed. So lot’s of healthy fats, protein and fibre going on already! Then we have fun.
My first protein bar flavour is my Peanut Butter Banana. Here we’ve got peanuts, banana chips, raisins and chocolate protein powder. What’s not to love?
Next is my Tropical option with vanilla protein powder, cashew butter, mango and coconut. It’s legit like taking a relaxing holiday.. except you’re exhausted from burpees.
Finally, is my Chocolate Almond Cherry. This one comes with dried cherries, chocolate protein powder and almonds. PLUS a bonus chocolate drizzle on top. These seem to be a consistent winner across the board.
You can easily customize these bars using depending on whatever you have on hand. If you’re not vegan, don’t worry about using vegan protein powder. If you’re not gluten free, you can just use regular oat flour. Your workout, your post-workout snack, your rules!!
If you missed it, check out my good friend Sara Lynn from The Domestic Geek and I making these protein bars!
Now, I want to know, what flavours and add-ins would you put in your own No Bake Gluten Free Vegan Protein Bars?
Which of the three flavours would likely be your favourite?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
No Bake Gluten Free Vegan Protein Bars
Protein Bar Recipe:
- 1 cup nut butter almond, peanut, cashew, sunflower seed
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup vegan protein powder vanilla, chocolate, berry, any flavour!
- ½ cup gluten free oat flour
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 dates pitted and minced
- Your favourite add-in's nuts, seeds, dried fruit, chocolate, etc.
- Your favourite toppings
Peanut Butter Banana:
- Nut butter: Peanut butter
- Protein powder: Chocolate
- Add-ins: 3 tbsp. dried golden raisins
- 2 tbsp. crushed banana chips
- Topping: 3 tbsp crushed peanuts
- Nut butter: Cashew butter
- Protein powder: Vanilla
- Add-ins: 3 tbsp. dried mango
- 2 tbsp. Toasted coconut
- Topping: Toasted coconut
- To a food processor, combine the nut butter, maple, protein powder, oat flour, flax seed and dates. Puree until smooth.
- Fold in the "add ins" of your choice.
- Line a 6" square pan with parchment paper with "wings" coming out of both sides. Press the ingredients firmly into the pan. Top with your favourite add-ins and freeze for 10 minutes. Cut into bars. They will thaw pretty quickly so I recommend enjoying them out of the freezer.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.