This Gluten Free Vegan Walnut Quinoa Burgers is the perfect Plant Based BBQ Veggie Burgers for summer entertaining, long weekends, Memorial Day and Father’s Day!
The first long weekend of the year is officially HERE and I am SOOOOO excited for a mid-day patio drink (#NewMom). While I have no qualms about biting into a big bad ass juicy beefy burger, I figure if we lighten things up we’ve got a little wiggle room for summer cocktails or dessert. So to celebrate the start of Summer (okay I know I’m getting a little ahead of myself here but I’m too excited to wait), I came up with these gluten free vegan walnut quinoa burgers.
How to Make Gluten Free Vegan Walnut Quinoa Burgers
These quinoa walnut burgers are going to blow your mind. First of all, they look DAMN close to the real deal, right? And the combination of quinoa, black beans and my secret ingredient, walnuts, is surprisingly satisfying and hearty. I don’t know if you’ve ever tried this, but mincing walnuts up super fine in the food processor yields a meaty-like texture that is really delish. I used this technique to make my keto walnut chili and trust me, it’s become a real favourite in our house.
So to make these plant based walnut burgers, I puree black beans, mix it with the minced walnuts, cooked quinoa, sauteed onions and garlic and lots of spice. They’re actually WAY more flavourful than traditional burgers, but are packed with protein, fibre and phytonutrients. I promise you everyone at the memorial day or Father’s Day BBQ cookout are going to love them to bits. Yes, even the hardcore meat enthusiasts.
I top my vegan walnut quinoa burgers with microgreens, tomato, avocado and pickles (because it is NOT worth eating any kind of burger sans pickle!!). But hey, if you have other burger goals, I can accept that. You do you. More pickles for me.
Now lovelies, let me know, are you team veggie burger or meat?
Have you tried these gluten free vegan walnut quinoa burgers?
What are your plans for the long weekend?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Gluten Free Vegan Walnut Quinoa Burgers
- Gluten free buns toasted
- Tomato sliced
- Avocado sliced
- In a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil. Add the onion and sautee until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for an additional 30 seconds. Set aside in a large bowl.
- In a food processor, pulse the walnuts until they reach a crumb-like consistency. Add to the bowl.
- Add the black soy beans and puree until smooth. Add to the bowl.
- Add in the quinoa, tamari, parsley, chili, cumin, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
- Form into 8 patties and place on a baking sheet lined with a silpat. Refrigerate for an hour.
- When ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium high heat. Add the patties and cook until brown on both sides.
- Layer your bun with pickles, tomatoes, avocado and microgreens and enjoy!
Updated on May 12th, 2020
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.