These vegan buffalo cauliflower and chickpea hard tacos are loaded with spicy buffalo flavour in buffalo-glazed hard tacos.
My mom always said since the time I was born that I always knew what I wanted and liked. I’m just a very decisive person. I really don’t even have to try something on to figure out if it’s a yay or nay while clothes shopping. I am always the first to decide what I want to order at the restaurant. And I can tell within 5 minutes of meeting someone if I’m going to like them. But occasionally, a restaurant puts me through the agony of making the oh so difficult decision between two of my favourite foods – tacos and buffalo wings.
Tacos and buffalo wings are two of the world’s greatest hand held delights. I decided it was high time these babies met in one wicked recipe- my Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower and Chickpea Hard Tacos.
How to Make Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower and Chickpea Hard Tacos
This starts with the tacos! I’m really picky about a good corn tortilla, and usually the store-bought ones are just a no go. So I recently discovered I could turn my beloved Flatout Foldit breads (that I use in my Grilled Cheese here!) into some wicked tacos! It’s a fun little hack for these Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower and Chickpea Hard Tacos that starts with cutting the Flatout’s in half (to yield two circles), brushing them with hot sauce, and draping them over the wires in the rack of your oven until they crisp up into a hard taco shape.
YAY! Now the fun party- filling these Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower and Chickpea Hard Tacos!
It starts by roasted cauliflower and chickpeas in a super hot oven with my beloved buffalo sauce. No need for meat here, folks! I then make a simple coconut crema with lime and cilantro to help cool things down if you can’t handle the heat.
With these tacos, there is literally nothing in this world that I can’t make up my mind about!
Now tell me, what are your favourite foods that you never can decide between if they were to both appear on a menu? Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Disclaimer: This post was developed in paid partnership with Flatout Flatbread, however, all opinions are genuine.
Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower and Chickpea Hard Tacos
Cilantro Lime Crema:
- 1 head cauliflower cut into small florets (about 8 cups)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1 (19 oz) can of chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried
- 2/3 cup Frank’s red hot sauce
- 1 tbsp vegan butter melted
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 8 Flatout 5 Grain Flax Foldit breads
- Avocado sliced
- Purple cabbage shredded
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Lightly grease two large baking sheets.
- In a small food processor or blender, puree the cilantro, coconut cream, lime and cumin. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, water, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add the cauliflower florets and toss to coat in the batter. Spread them out onto the baking sheets and bake for about 20- 25 minutes.
- Mix together the hot sauce, melted vegan butter and maple.
- Flip the cauliflower, add the chickpeas to the baking sheet and toss everything with the hot sauce mixture. Roast for an additional 10-15 minutes or until everything is crispy and golden.
- Meanwhile, cut the Flatout Foldits in half (to yield two circles), and brush with hot sauce on one side. Hang each one in the oven over a wire rack so they form taco shells. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges crisp and brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- To assemble, layer the taco shells with cabbage, avocado, cilantro and the taco filling. Top with the crema and enjoy!
Updated on October 14th, 2020
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.