Make these fun vegan dirt cups and gummy worms with Oreo soil, and chocolate avocado mousse to celebrate Halloween with the kids this year!
Raise your hand if you remember making those iconic Oreo dirt cups as a kid? I know we made them every Halloween at my grandparents with my cousins because it was a SUPER easy treat we always loved. There was something just so fun about digging for gummy worms in a bed of rich chocolate pudding with crispy Oreo crumbles throughout. YES PLEASE. And with Halloween approaching soon, I have lots of Halloween recipes on my blog (perfect for toddlers and adults, alike), and these dirt cups have become a favourite.
Table of contents
Why This Recipe Works
It’s not a Halloween party without fun Halloween treats! These dirt cups are perfect for the occasion, not to mention they’re absolutely adorable. I also love this recipe because it’s
- Super easy to make – only 4 quick steps!
- A great way to get the kids involved in the kitchen!
- Plant-based (vegan)
- A healthier alternative to a traditional dessert
Avocados– Make sure they’re buttery and ripe or else they won’t blend nicely. If the avocado yields to firm gentle pressure, has a dark colour, and feels soft but not too mushy, it’s good to go.
Oreo cookie crumbs– Did you know that Oreos are naturally vegan? Woo hoo! If you can’t find oreo cookie crumbs, you can also just eat the cream filling middle out of the cookies and crush up some crumbs with a rolling pin in a plastic bag. Win, win right?
Chia seeds– I like ground chia for this recipe as it makes little specs similar to the cookie crumbs (so that’s exactly what kids will think it is).
Gummy worms– You can use regular, sour, or vegan ones (yes, there’s such thing as vegan gummy worms). If you’re not vegan, we love these gummies made with organic fruit juice and natural ingredients.
How to Make This Recipe
Step 1: In a food processor or blender, puree the avocado, cocoa powder, melted chocolate, almond milk, vanilla, salt and maple syrup until smooth. Adjust sweetness if desired (but keep in mind the cookie layer does add sweetness).
Step 2: In another bowl, mix together the yogurt, cookie crumbs, vanilla and chia seeds.
Step 3: To make the tombstones, put the melted chocolate into a piping bag and snip a tiny hole in the corner. Break the graham crackers lengthwise into a long piece (not in half widthwise). Write R I P vertically and allow to harden in the fridge.
Step 4: Meanwhile, layer some oreo crumbs with the chocolate pudding and cookies and cream yogurt, ending with the oreo cookie crumbs. Insert the tombstone and add gummy worms on top. Enjoy!
If you don’t have maple syrup on hand, feel free to use honey or agave if you prefer (and you’re not vegan).
Regarding yogurt – almond, soy, and coconut would all be great vegan options, or a nice plain Greek yogurt if you’re not vegan.
The oreo cookie crumbs are not gluten free, but you could make this gluten free by getting gluten free chocolate cookies and crushing those up for the “dirt”.
I love the idea of using vegan licorice as the “worms”! Or just add in some other vegan candies or even just some little plastic shovels.
I recommend making the components (the yogurt and the pudding) up to 3 days ahead, then assembling everything when it’s time to eat.
Yes! If you don’t want to plate these into little cups, you could also serve this as a larger dessert in a small 8 or 9″ square casserole dish and let everyone serve themselves.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Here are some other great Halloween themed recipes that you can bust out for your Halloween party this year!
What snacks and treats are you making for Halloween? Have you tried these Oreo dirt cups yet? Leave me a comment below!
Dirt Cups | Healthy, Vegan, & Kid-Friendly
Avocado Chocolate Pudding Layer:
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 dark chocolate chips melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2-4 tbsp maple syrup or more to taste
Cookies & Cream Layer:
- 1 cup plain yogurt vegan or Greek, if desired
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Oreo cookie crumbs
- 1 tbsp black chia seeds
- Maple syrup if desired (optional)
- graham Cracker Tomb stone
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips melted
- 2-4 full Graham cracker sheets
- 1/3 cup Oreo cookie crumbs
- Gummy worms vegan, if desired
- In a food processor or blender, puree the avocado, cocoa powder, melted chocolate, almond milk, vanilla, salt and maple syrup until smooth. Adjust sweetness if desired (but keep in mind the cookie layer does add sweetness).
- In another bowl, mix together the yogurt, cookie crumbs, vanilla and chia seeds.
- To make the tombstones, put the melted chocolate into a piping bag and snip a tiny hole in the corner. Break the graham crackers lengthwise into a long piece (not in half widthwise). Write R I P vertically and allow to harden in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, layer some oreo crumbs with the chocolate pudding and cookies and cream yogurt, ending with the oreo cookie crumbs. Insert the tombstone and add gummy worms on top. Enjoy!
Updated on October 20th, 2022
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.
Leave a Comment