This Vegan Candy Cane Skillet Cookie is the perfect plant-based gluten free holiday dessert for entertaining friends and family this Christmas!
Okay, so I’m not generally a cookie person. I like cakes, and ice cream, and puddings and pie, but cookies need to be really special to be exciting. This Vegan Candy Cane Skillet Cookie is that cookie. Partially because it’s huge. I mean, it fills and entire cast-iron skillet for goodness sake. But also because it tastes delicious, has chocolate AND candy cane pieces and is surprisingly healthy. Oh and did I mention its plant-based AND gluten free? Holidays, get at me!
How to Make this MASSIVE Vegan Candy Cane Skillet Cookie
This is an easy recipe that is super fun to set down in front of a crowd, and just as fun to eat. I start with some flax eggs as the vegan “glue” that holds this Vegan Candy Cane Skillet Cookie together. If that sounds strange to you just know that it just means I’m mixing together flax and almond milk and letting it sit in the fridge until gloopy.
I make this cookie with a little coconut sugar (don’t worry, there’s plenty of sweetness in the candy canes and chocolate), almond butter, almond flour, almonds and spices. That means it’s gluten free, dairy free, vegan and has lots of hearty holiday flavour so a little slice definitely hits the spot. I also love that you get a nice crispy outside and a warm, soft centre- the ultimate key to a good skillet cookie.
Now its time to turn a big of cookie dough into a Vegan Candy Cane Skillet Cookie. Bust out the candy canes and chocolate!! I add in lots of mini dark chocolate chips plus some crushed candy cane bits to really nail the holiday vibe. This Vegan Candy Cane Skillet Cookie is super kid friendly but also a total holiday blast for adults. I mean, bigger people need bigger cookies, right? Sounds about right.
Now I want to know, have you tried making this Vegan Candy Cane Skillet Cookie?
What’s your go-to easy holiday dessert for Christmas entertaining?
Are you YAY or NAY to the chocolate candy cane desserts?
What do you plan to make for your guests who are vegan or gluten free?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Vegan Candy Cane Skillet Cookie
- 2 tbsp flax seed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. coconut sugar
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 2/3 cup natural almond butter
- 2 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 4 tsp vanilla
- 2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips vegan
- 1/2 sliced toasted sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes plus more for serving
- Fleur de sel for garnish
- Vegan ice cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9" cast iron skillet.
- Place the flax and almond milk for the flax eggs in a small bowl and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes until gloopy.
- In one bowl, mix the flax egg, coconut sugar, coconut oil, almond butter, almond milk and vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix the almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mix the wet into the dry until combined, then fold in half of the chocolate, almonds and candy canes.
- Spread out into the skillet and add the remaining chocolate, almonds and candy on top. Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until crispy and golden around the edges and firm in the centre.
- Slice and serve warm with ice cream, sprinkled with additional candy cane bits.