Spice up dinner tonight with this low carb cajun sausage and cauliflower rice casserole that the whole family will love so much there might not be any leftovers.
I’ve been on the casserole train lately, and it’s made meal planning a whole lot easier. Let’s be real- your grandma’s casseroles were plain and boring- nobody has time for that! This is not grammy’s casserole! This low carb cajun sausage and cauliflower rice casserole was inspired by the classic Cajun rice dish with a lightened up, veggie forward kick. I’m using cauliflower rice to make this casserole higher in fibre but not leaving out a flavourful kick from my go-to spicy hero: Cajun spice.
HOW TO MAKE CAJUN SAUSAGE AND CAULIFLOWER RICE CASSEROLE
To make this delicious Cajun rice casserole, start by browning some lean turkey sausages with onions and garlic. If you’re keeping keto, you can use higher fat sausages. Pull out the old casserole dish and throw in the cooked sausage, veggies and the hero of the hour: cauliflower rice. Mix in the canned tomatoes and spices to take this casserole to flavour town. Pop in the oven and wait for the magic to happen. This casserole is legit so easy to pull off with just a few kitchen staples!
CAN THIS CASSEROLE BE MADE VEGAN OR VEGETARIAN?
Heck yeah. Swap out the sausage for tofu/tempeh, or that new vegan sausage, and pan fry until lightly browned on all sides. Then just add it to the casserole dish with the other ingredients. How easy was that?
IS THIS CAJUN CASSEROLE FREEZER FRIENDLY?
While it’s likely going to be tempting to polish off this cajun cauliflower rice casserole, this cajun sausage and cauliflower rice casserole is ONE HUNDO PERCENT freezer friendly. Throw it in a sealable plastic/glass container and keep it in the freezer for another busy night.
I hope this casserole saves your future busy nights, like it has for me!
Now I want to hear from you.
Are you a cauliflower rice fan?
Would you make this low carb cajun casserole?
What ingredients would you add to a weeknight casserole?
If you liked this post, you may like:
Low Carb Cajun Sausage and Cauliflower Rice Casserole
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 lean turkey sausages cut into circles
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- 1 12 oz package of cauliflower rice
- 1 19 oz can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes drained
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot sauce for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat and add the sausage bits. Cook just until lightly browned, about 1-2 minutes per side and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant and soft.
- To a lightly greased 13x9" casserole dish, add the cooked sausage, onions, garlic, cauliflower rice (still frozen), bell peppers, kidney beans, diced tomatoes (without the juice), cajun seasoning and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Mix to combine and break up any cauliflower rice chunks. Press lightly down.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cauliflower rice is tender and hot, and the sausage is cooked through.