This Cauliflower Rice Chicken and Broccoli Casserole is a perfect baby and toddler friendly family dinner. It’s also naturally low in carbs, high in fiber and keto-friendly.
I don’t think I fully appreciated the beauty of the classic casserole until I became a mom. But since I now legit have no more than 30 minutes to make a meal, and I have to do it with a kid throwing tupperware all over the floor, I like to keep things simple. This Cauliflower Rice Casserole with Chicken and Broccoli takes a few amazingly simple short cuts like frozen cauliflower rice and a rotisserie chicken to get a balanced, high protein meal on the table STAT.
key ingredients to make this cauliflower rice casserole
- Corn starch or tapioca starch
- Cauliflower rice
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Spices (oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, sweet paprika, chili powder, ground pepper, salt)
How to Make Cauliflower Rice Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
This casserole is so easy to pull off since it uses some kitchen short cuts like frozen cauliflower rice and a rotisserie chicken. Simply mix up the milk with the starch to thicken the sauce, then combine the other ingredients, top it off with cheese and bake! One pan and you’re done!
faq about this recipe
Is this Cauliflower Rice Chicken and Broccoli Casserole Good for Babies, Toddlers and Kids?
Yes!! The flavours in this casserole are very mild and comforting, and what kid doesn’t like when something is covered in cheese? I served this to Baby E for almost a week and he loved it every time! If you want to add some more kick, feel free to add some spicy chili pepper and hot sauce!
Is this Cauliflower Rice Chicken and Broccoli Casserole Keto Friendly, GLUTEN FREE and Low Carb?
Yep! I love using cauliflower rice, not because it’s low carb or keto-friendly, but because it’s a tasty way to sneak in extra fiber and antioxidants. And it’s now so easy to find it in the freezer aisle at any grocery store. But yes, since cauliflower rice is much lower in calories than traditional rice or grains, this chicken and broccoli casserole is keto friendly and low carb.
Can You Make this Chicken and Broccoli Casserole Ahead and Reheat It?
Yes! This casserole makes so much, and I’m just a family of three, so I often keep it in the fridge and rewarm portions of it as I am hungry. If you want to make the casserole ahead of time and then rewarm the entire thing, you absolutely can! I would assemble everything, and then when you’re ready, just top it with the cheese and bake.
What Should I Serve this Casserole with for the Kids?
Considering that kids need carbs, I suggest serving this cauliflower rice casserole with a nice loaf of crusty bread with butter. It’s a really awesome way to get a balanced meal, but still, sneak in some extra nutrients and fiber with cauliflower rice and introduce them to a potentially less-loved vegetable.
do you have any other casserole recipes on the blog?
Oh heck yeah I do! Here are some of my favourites that you might also like.
Now tell me, what are some of your family’s favourite casserole dinners? Let me know in the comments below.
Cauliflower Rice Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp corn starch or tapioca starch
- 4 cups uncooked cauliflower rice
- 1 head broccoli cut into very small florets
- 1 bell pepper finely diced (green if keto)
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1/2 cup cream cheese lite or regular for keto
- 1 ½ cup old cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 1 ½ cups fresh mozzarella cheese shredded, divided
- 4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried powdered garlic
- 2 tsp dried powdered onion
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder optional and to taste
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 -1 tsp sea salt omit for children
- Parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 F and grease a 13x9” casserole.
- In a small bowl, mix together the milk and the cornstarch or tapioca starch.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cauliflower rice, broccoli, bell pepper, chicken, milk, cream cheese, 1 cup cheddar, 1 cup mozzarella, oregano, garlic, onion, paprika, chili if using, pepper and salt. Toss to mix very well and transfer to the casserole dish.
- Top with the remaining ½ cup of cheddar and ½ cup of mozzarella. Bake for 45 minutes uncovered or until golden brown. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before topping with parsley and enjoying.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.