Craving a cheeseburger but trying to avoid your local fast food joint? This Keto Friendly Low Carb Cabbage Cheeseburger Casserole is a lightened up version that doesn’t skimp on the pickles.
I LOVE cabbage. One of my fave cabbage recipes from my new book The Mindful Glow Cookbook is a crazy delicious Cider-Braised Sausages and Cabbage with Fresh Apple Salsa. Sadly, that recipe isn’t on the blog and you’ll have to get your hands on my book to make it! (CLICK HERE to get your copy). Until then my Keto Friendly Cabbage Cheeseburger Casserole will fill that cabbage void. I’ve combined my two faves: cabbage and cheeseburgers to bring you a perfect low carb weeknight dinner for nights when you’re looking for something light but also have a serious hankering for a burger.
Recently I’ve been on a cabbage kick because it’s cheap, easy to prepare and makes the perfect substitute when I’m craving something light. From my Cabbage Roll Enchiladas to my Egg Roll in a Bowl, there are so many ways to incorporate cabbage into your diet in a fun and creative way. But cabbage and cheeseburger? Sounds crazy right, but trust me, this cabbage casserole legit tastes like a cheeseburger and you won’t miss your local fast food joint.
How to make cabbage cheeseburger Casserole
To whip up this cabbage cheeseburger casserole, I start by browning the ground beef and then adding in onions, peppers, garlic, cabbage, tomatoes, tomato paste and mustard. Let that cook down and then add half of it to a baking dish.
Top with cheese and pickles, and then add the rest of the cabbage mixture. Finally finish with the remainder cheese and pickles and then bake in the oven until the cheese gets all melty and gooey.
And just like that, you’ve got cheeseburgers for dinner and you didn’t even have to hit the drive thru.
Cabbage Cheeseburger Casserole | Keto Friendly, Low Carb
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef extra lean if not keto
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 head green cabbage finely shredded
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 158 ml can of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tsp cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 3 cups aged white cheddar cheese grated
- 4 low sodium pickles diced
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven ot 375 F.
- To a large skillet over medium high heat, add the olive oil and beef. Cook until browned, then add in the onion, garlic and bell peppers. Saute for another 5-6 minutes, then add in the cabbage, tomatoes, tomato paste, and mustard. Toss until coated and allow the cabbage to slightly wilt, about 5-6 minutes.
- Sprinkle the bottom of a 13×9 ” baking dish with cornstarch. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mixture to the baking dish, leaving the liquid behind. Fill the pan half way up, then add half of the cheese and pickles, then finish with the remaining cabbage mixture, cheese and pickles.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes until the cheese melts and browns and the mixture is heated through.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.