This Acorn Squash Vegan Coconut Lentil Curry makes for a super fast easy weeknight dinner that is family friendly and quick!
We’ve always been fans of coconut curry here at Abbey’s Kitchen. My chicken and chickpea curry has always been one of my most popular recipes on the blog and I’ve also got super tasty recipes for curry soup and lychee curry! As the weather cools down, and everyone starts getting busier with back to work/ back to school routines, I was craving another one pot healthy curry. This time, we’re using the powerhouse vegetable, acorn squash, as our edible bowl, offering a delicate sweetness that feels PERFECT for fall weather.
How to Make Acorn Squash Vegan Coconut Lentil Curry?
I first start by roasting my acorn squash until tender. This is going to be the bowl for our curry, but it also adds some nice meaty sweet starch as well. That means you can skip the rice if you want (or double up- your call!)
The filling for my vegan coconut lentil curry is a combination of cauliflower, sweet potato, peas and my go-to pantry staple- canned lentils! I love lentils as a great vegan source of protein and fibre, and buying them canned is such a time saver. Actually, a lot of you have asked me for recipes using more canned lentils and beans, and I think this vegan lentil curry is a really tasty way to showcase them.
Can I Make this Vegan Coconut Lentil Curry without the Acorn Squash?
Of course! Just serve this on top of rice or quinoa and enjoy as is!
Is this Acorn Squash Vegan Coconut Lentil Curry Gluten Free?
You bet! It’s legit just vegetables and lentils- nature’s best!
Can I add chicken or shrimp to this Coconut Lentil Curry?
Of course! And since there’s lentils in here already, you really won’t need much! I like to call that treating meat as a condi-meat (get it, like condiment!!) So go ahead, add a few shrimp, pieces of chicken, tofu or steak. There’s no rules with coconut curry!
Can I make vegan coconut lentil curry ahead of time (batch prep)?
Yes, curry is great the next day! Double your batch and keep it in the fridge for lunches throughout the week!
Now loves, tell me – what do you do with canned lentils?
Have you tried this Acorn Squash Vegan Coconut Lentil Curry?
What is your favourite kind of curry?
Acorn Squash Vegan Coconut Lentil Curry
- 2 acorn squash halved lengthwise
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ tbsp minced ginger
- 4 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 Sweet potato finely diced
- ½ head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 apple diced
- 1 400 ml can lite coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- Zest of ½ lime
- Juice of 1 ½ limes
- 1 19 oz can lentils drained and rinsed
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup raisins
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To garnish:
- ¼ cup crushed pistachios
- Preheat oven to 375 and drizzle the acorn squash with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast, cut side up for 45 to 60 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, curry, cinnamon, and turmeric and cook for 4 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and sweet potato and cook for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Add the cauliflower and apple and cook for an additional 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the lid and add in the coconut milk, coconut sugar, lime zest and lime juice. Allow to cook with the lid off for 3-4 minutes.
- Finally, add the lentils, peas and raisins and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Fill the acorn squash halves and garnish with pistachios.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.