With winter around the corner, this vegan yellow beet coconut curry soup is the perfect gluten free recipe to stay warm and cozy.
So fall went by in the blink of an eye, and now we’re basically in winter, which has got me craving the coziest of foods. Aside from pulling out my big ass parka, another way I like to stay warm on a cold night is with soup like my vegan yellow beet coconut curry soup. I’ve been on a serious soup kick lately since it’s the only way I can cope with the long Canadian winter ahead. Last week I shared with you my adult version of a childhood classic: my vegan roasted fennel tomato soup with gluten free chickpea croutons and this week I’m super excited to share with you my completely plant based and gluten free beet coconut curry soup.
This time I’m pulling out one of my fave colourful veggies, yellow beets, to whip up the creamiest of curry soups. One bowl of this, and you’ll forget about the cold weather… temporarily.
how to make vegan yellow beet coconut curry soup
This curry soup starts with the aromatic marriage of garlic, ginger, onions and curry powder. Get ready for your home to smell REAL GOOD. Next, I add some carrots, yellow beets and vegetable broth and let that simmer for a while to bring all the flavours together. To add the creaminess factor, I add coconut milk and then blend it together until smooth. Finally, I finish it off with a swirl of coconut milk, thinly sliced candy cane beets, coconut chips and hemp hearts!
Voila! A simple soup that carries its weight in flavour and colour! Stay warm, my friends.
Now I want to hear from you!
Have you been pulling out your fave winter soup recipes to stay warm with the cold weather?
Share your favourite soup combinations below!
Vegan Yellow Beet Coconut Curry Soup
With winter around the corner, this vegan yellow beet coconut curry soup is the perfect gluten free recipe to stay warm and cozy. Whether your entertaining for the holidays or needing an easy weeknight dinner recipe, this vegan curry soup will do the trick.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow sweet onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger (minced)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 cup carrots (peeled and diced)
- 3 cups yellow beets (peeled and diced)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Red or candy cane beets (sliced julienne)
- Toasted coconut chips
- Hemp hearts
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and stir until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add the curry powder, and stir everything until the spices coat the vegetables.
- Next, add in the carrots, yellow beets, and low sodium broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, top with the lid and cook for about 45 minutes, or until the beets are very soft. Add in the coconut milk. Transfer to a stand blender or blend with a handblender until smooth.
- To serve, top with a swirl of coconut milk, the colourful beets, coconut chip and hemp hearts. Enjoy!
Updated on June 29th, 2020
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.