This Healthy Banana Split Bread with Chocolate Chips is dairy free, healthy and loaded with natural sweetness. It is also super moist for a healthy kid friendly snack that the whole family will love!
I grew up eating A LOT of banana bread! My mom was not a stellar cook or baker, but she knew how to make a really good chocolate chip banana bread. I’m not sure how much sugar was in her version, but since becoming a mom of a sweet-loving toddler, I have been on a mission to cut back on the added sugar in a lot of my family recipes.
Luckily with banana bread, cutting back on added sugar is actually really easy! Bananas are so naturally sweet that you really don’t need much, and the addition of sweet cherries and dark chocolate chips in there totally channel those banana split vibes without a lot of sugar. With that said, this banana split bread with chocolate chips is a MUST for any banana bread and banana split fan!
Table of contents
Why This Recipe Works
This is not your mama’s banana bread. Here are a few reasons why you need this banana split bread in your life!
- Dairy free
- Kid friendly
- High protein (6 grams per slice)
- High Fibre (4 grams per slice)
- Naturally sweetened
Bananas– Obviously. You need to let them get SUPER ripe and speckly, almost going black (but like, not quite). I also add more bananas than most banana bread recipes call for simply because I find that is what makes the most moist bread ever.
Vegan Yogurt – This keeps the bread super moist without a ton of added fat!
Eggs- Ditto for the moist factor.
Cherries- I use frozen cherries and this not only adds moisture and sweetness, but also makes this bread taste like a banana split!
Dark chocolate chips – I mean, it wouldn’t be chocolate chip banana bread without chocolate, and this also adds to the whole banana split vibe.
How to Make This Recipe
Step 1: In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
Step 2: In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, honey, eggs, Greek yogurt, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
Step 3: Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
Step 4: Stir in the cherries and chocolate chips.
Step 5: Transfer mixture to the prepared loaf pan. Top with extra cherries, sliced banana, chocolate chips and hemp hearts, then bake for about 60-75 minutes on the middle rack.
My best tip for ensuring a super moist banana split bread is to use lots and lots of ripe bananas! The riper the better. The eggs, yogurt and honey also contribute moisture so they are definitely important to include in the recipe.
Honestly, any fruit you like! Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, mango, pineapple! You just need the bananas in there and the rest is up to you.
Totally. Go ahead and use regular butter and regular yogurt!
You can try, but admittedly I have never tested it and I expect it will definitely work but won’t be as moist without the eggs. Flax eggs however are a great source of omega 3 fats, which I love, so give it a go!
You can make these into muffins and bake them for about 25-30 minutes for full muffins and 15-17 minutes for minis.
Yes! I often do make a double batch of this banana split bread, wrap one in foil and then in a freezer bag for up to 6 months. When you’re ready to eat, simply thaw and enjoy.
More Recipes You Might Like
I’m totally obsessed with bananas so you probably know, I put them in EVERYTHING. So if you loved this banana split bread, you are going to love more of my fav banana recipes!
- GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD
- PEANUT BUTTER BANANA MINI MUFFINS
- PB & J BANANA MINI MUFFINS
- BANANA PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
What other add ins do you like in your banana bread? What are your thoughts on this banana split bread? Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Healthy Banana Split Bread with Chocolate Chips (Dairy Free)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup very ripe bananas mashed (about 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup plain non-dairy yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups frozen cherries
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips dairy free
- 4-5 frozen cherries
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips dairy free
- 2 tsp hemp hearts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 9 inch loaf pan with parchment paper (hanging over the longer sides. Grease the parchment paper and the pan on the short sides with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, honey, eggs, Greek yogurt, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Stir in the cherries and chocolate chips then transfer to the loaf pan.
- Top with extra cherries, sliced banana, chocolate chips and hemp hearts, then bake for about 60-75 minutes on the middle rack or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out relatively clean and the sides are well browned. Allow to cool fully on a cooling rack before carefully removing (using the parchment paper), then slicing and eating.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.