These breakfast pizza rolls are a high-protein, easy BLW recipe that the whole family can enjoy. This recipe is also budget friendly with only 4 staple ingredients!
As a mom, I understand how crazy busy mornings can be. Between waking the kids up, getting them ready for the day, AND trying to make sure they have a balanced meal to start the day, things can get pretty hectic pretty fast. With very limited time in the morning, I need a foolproof recipe that I know my kids will love (and something I can munch on too!). This is why I created these delicious breakfast pizza rolls that have quickly become heavily requested in my household.
Table of contents
Why This Recipe Works
Facts are facts – everyone loves pizza. And if you don’t then…. I don’t know if I can trust you. With that said, I will take any excuse to enjoy pizza in the morning and my boys have followed in their mama’s footsteps and are always down for some sauce cheesy goodness. Here are a few more reasons why these breakfast pizza rolls are on heavy rotation in my household these days.
- Easy to take on the go – perfect for those busy mornings!
- Completely customizable (for picky eaters or kids who like different toppings)
- High in protein (~22 grams per serving)
- Budget friendly – only requires 4 staple ingredients!
Whole Wheat Tortillas – The tortillas are going to act like the “crust” for our breakfast pizza rolls. While you can totally enjoy these breakfast pizza rolls open faced, turning them into bite-sized roll-ups makes them baby led weaning friendly and easy to take on-the-go.
Pizza Sauce – Because obviously. But heres a fun little nutrition fact – the vitamin C in the tomato sauce actually helps to enhance iron absorption in the egg. So its a win-win on the nutrition and flavour front.
Eggs – Eggs are the star of the show in these breakfast pizza rolls. I usually like to opt for omega-3 eggs, but any egg that is accessible to you is absolutely fine.
Toppings – For this pizza-inspired recipe we are topping things off with familiar favourites – chopped veggies (red onions, bell peppers), olives, chopped basil, and cheese (mandatory, obviously). But feel free to have fun with the toppings and make it your own with whatever you have on hand.
How To Make This Recipe
Step 1: Spread 3-4 tbsp of pizza sauce onto each tortilla and set aside. In the meantime, Preheat a 10” nonstick skillet over medium low heat with enough olive oil to lightly coat the pan.
Step 2: Whisk the eggs, milk and salt and pepper together in a bowl.
Step 3: Add ¼ of the egg mixture to the pan and spread out to a thin omelet. Top with 3-4 tbsp pizza toppings and 3- 4 tbsp of cheese. Place the tortilla on top (sauce side down).
Step 4: Swirl the tortilla in the pan until the egg has finished cooking and the tortilla is glued to the egg. Slide out onto a plate or cutting board and then slide back into the pan, tortilla side down. Cook for another 30 seconds.
Step 5: Slide the egg tortilla onto a plate and wait until it’s cool enough to touch. Roll up (tortilla side out).
Even though this is a great BLW recipe, it’s important to acknowledge that it does contain a few common allergens — milk, wheat (tortilla), and eggs. I would make sure your little one has trialed each of these foods beforehand before serving them all together at once. I also have a whole blog post on how to safely introduce allergen while practicing baby led weaning.
You can make this recipe ahead of time and freeze them flat between wax or parchment paper. When you are ready to eat, you can warm them up in the microwave for 30 seconds then roll them up.
Just about anything you can top a pizza with! I personally love bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, pepperoni, and olives.
All you would need to do is sub out the regular whole wheat tortilla for a gluten free alternative. Also, just be sure to check grocery store ingredient labels to make sure there is no gluten added.
More Recipes You Might Like
Looking for other BLW breakfast ideas like these breakfast pizza rolls? Check out some of my favorites below!
- BANANA BAKED OATMEAL FINGERS WITH CHERRIES (BLW & TODDLER FRIENDLY)
- CHEESE OMELETTE WITH VEGGIES (TODDLER & BLW RECIPE)
- GREEN PANCAKES WITH SPINACH & AVOCADO (BLW & TODDLER FRIENDLY)
- FRENCH TOAST STICKS FOR BLW (VEGAN)
What are some of your go-to BLW breakfast recipes? Have you tried this recipe yet? I would love to hear what your kids are loving right now!
Breakfast Pizza Rolls
- 4 8" Whole Wheat Tortillas
- 1 cup Pizza Sauce
- 8 Omega 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 1 tbsp Olive oil (for cooking)
- 3 tbsp Milk (if desired)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Spread 3-4 tbsp of pizza sauce onto each tortilla and set aside.
- Preheat a 10” nonstick skillet over medium low heat with enough olive oil to lightly coat the pan.
- Whisk the eggs, milk and salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Add ¼ of the egg mixture to the pan and spread out to a thin omelet. Top with 3-4 tbsp pizza toppings and 3- 4 tbsp of cheese. Place the tortilla on top (sauce side down).
- Swirl the tortilla in the pan until the egg has finished cooking and the tortilla is glued to the egg. Slide out onto a plate or cutting board and then slide back into the pan, tortilla side down. Cook for another 30 seconds.
- Slide the egg tortilla onto a plate and wait until it’s cool enough to touch. Roll up (tortilla side out).