This gluten free and Vegan Vodka Sauce Zucchini Noodle Pasta is so incredibly creamy, you’ll never guess it’s dairy-free, and low carb!
So y’all know I’m a zucchini noodle whore. Two of the top recipes on the Abbey’s Kitchen blog are zucchini noodle recipes (Carbonara, and Pad Thai), so I guess I’m not alone in my absolute obsession. Today I wanted to tackle not only making a pasta dish gluten free by using zucchini noodles, but also totally vegan and low carb with a bad-ass creamy sauce. I’m happy to report I #nailedit with this Vegan Vodka Sauce Zucchini Noodle Pasta.
How to Make Vegan Vodka Sauce Zucchini Noodle Pasta
Okay, so I have a specific technique I have MASTERED when it comes to proper zucchini noodles. You don’t want your zoodles to come out soggy, and since zucchini noodles are largely WATER, that’s exactly what usually happens. So you’ve got to find a way to get the water OUT and that’s where osmosis comes into play. You’ve got to actually add a little salt to your zucchini noodles to help draw some of the excess moisture out before cooking. I know, you’re thinking they’ll be total salt bombs, but honestly, just trust the process. It honestly works.
Now we’ve gotta talk about this crazy amazing Vegan Vodka Sauce. The sauce is made with the usual suspects. Garlic, onions, tomatoes. Oh yah, and a SHIT TON of vodka. Holy yes, no wonder this is so many people’s favourite pasta dish. To make the Vegan Vodka Sauce Zucchini Noodle Pasta creamy AF without cream, I puree soaked cashews and coconut cream until CRAZY smooth. Yes, you may need to let the blender run for a few minutes, but eventually when those nuts break down, you’ll be in low carb cream sauce heaven.
I finished mine off with some olives, sundried tomatoes, basil and some unsoaked cashews that I pulsed in a food processor to resemble parmesan cheese. Smart, right?
Alright, now I gotta know, what’s your FAVOURITE comfort food pasta dish?
Have you tried my Vegan Vodka Sauce Zucchini Noodle Pasta?
How do you feel about putting 1/2 cup of vodka into your dinner? (I say YAAAAAAAAS)
Leave me a comment below lovelies and then get cooking!
Vegan Vodka Sauce Zucchini Noodle Pasta
- 8 zucchini spiralized
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 shallot minced
- 28 oz can Marzano tomatoes hand crushed
- ¼-1 tsp crushed red pepper to taste
- ½ cup vodka gluten free
- ½ cup pureed cashews
- 1 cup coconut cream
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Fresh basil
- Sundried tomatoes cut into slivers
- Kalamata olives pitted and halved
- Cashews pulsed in a food processor until it yields a coarse powder
- Line a baking sheet with a few layers of paper towel. Lay the zucchini noodles down and sprinkle with salt. Top with another few layers of paper towel, a cutting board and some heavy items like books or pots. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, transfer the noodles to a colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water to remove the salt.
- Refresh the paper towels on the baking sheet with a few new layers. Gently squeeze and shake the zoodles and lay them down on the paper towel. Top with a few more layers of paper towel, the cutting board and the heavy items. Let dry for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add in the garlic and shallots and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add in the tomatoes, red pepper and vodka, and simmer with the lid off for 10 minutes.
- Add the cashews to blender and puree until it gets pasty. Add coconut cream and puree for about 5-10 minutes or until very smooth. Add in the tomato sauce and puree until everything is smooth and well combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the sauce to the pan over medium high heat, and stir until warm and gently bubbling. Add in the zucchini noodles and stir just until well coated.
- Divide between four bowls and top with sundried tomatoes, basil, olives and cashew "cheese".