TheseÂ Vegan Gluten Free Gingerbread Men Pancakes make the perfect Holiday breakfast recipe for decorating and enjoying with the kids.
When I was a kid, Christmas morning was legitimately my favourite few hours of the year. We had a strict 7 AM rule in my house for when I was allowed to go look at the tree, so my sister and I would be able to open up our stocking and play with it until it was time to go downstairs. Once our gifts were open, we would have a festive breakfast and my parents would spend the rest of the day likely cleaning up, calling relatives, and preparing the big holiday feast for the night. Now, my son may only be 8 months old and only just started solids, but I think making these vegan gluten free gingerbread men pancakes together will be a really lovely future addition to our holiday morning tradition. Decorating the little gingerbread men pancakes would be a fantastic little activity to keep the kiddos busy while the adults get the rest of their holiday affairs in order.
How to Make Vegan Gluten Free Gingerbread Men Pancakes
Gingerbread cookies have a very distinct colour, scent and flavour thanks to molasses, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. To make these super simple vegan gluten free gingerbread men pancakes, I just mix my dry ingredients with my wet and use a silicon gingerbread men cut out to form the shape in my frying pan. If you can’t find silicon molds, you can totally use a metal cookie cutter, you just have to make sure you thoroughly spray it with nonstick cooking spray first to prevent sticking.
Then to decorate, I whipped up a super easy royal icing (with just powdered sugar and almond milk, and then busted out all of my favourite holiday candies and sprinkles for decorating. Yes, in my experience, it can get a wee bit messy when you give kids free reign with sprinkles, but throw down a plastic table cloth and let them have some fun. It’s Christmas!!
You can also make these gingerbread men pancakes ahead of time to keep the holiday morning even more stress-free. Simply make your batch and freeze them on a baking tray in a single layer. Once frozen, you can pop them all into a freezer bag and then just rewarm them covered in tin foil before serving.
These Gingerbread Men Pancakes are perfect for the masses because they’re completely gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and vegan, so all of the kids (and adults!) at your holiday brunch can indulge.
Now loves, I would love to know what your holiday breakfast recipe traditions are?
Have you tried making these gingerbread men pancakes?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Vegan Gluten Free Gingerbread Men Pancakes
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Red and green candies gluten free and/or vegan if desired
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, mix together the molasses, almond milk, vinegar, and vanilla. Whisk into the dry ingredients until smooth.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat with vegan butter and spray a silicon gingerbread man or woman pancake mold with nonstick cooking spray. Place the mold onto the pan and fill just a light layer with pancake mix. Allow to cook until brown on one side, remove the mold, and flip.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the powdered sugar with a tablespoon of almond milk. Add the remaining almond milk, if needed, to get to a thick stiff consistency. Transfer to a piping bag.
- Decorate your gingerbread pancakes with icing and candies. Enjoy!
Updated on July 22nd, 2020
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.