This delicious vegan breakfast sandwich with tofu is an easy healthy breakfast that you can make ahead and enjoy on-the-go!
Does anyone else fall into a breakfast rut from time to time? Every now and then, I find that my standard breakfasts get a bit too routine and a bit too boring. So when I am in need of a bit more inspo, I turn to this vegan breakfast sandwich with tofu.
This sandwich is a nutrient-dense and satisfying morning meal that is chock full of protein, fibre, and flavour! It also makes for the perfect breakfast option if you are looking to incorporate more plant-based meals into your life.
Table of contents
Why This Recipe Works
This vegan breakfast sandwich has quickly become my new fav as we enter the Spring months because it is just so dang fresh and tasty. Here are a few reasons why we are digging this recipe big time!
- High protein (28 grams per serving)
- High Fibre (15 grams per serving)
- Family friendly
- Great for on-the-go
Tofu – For this recipe we are using extra firm tofu as it is easier to crisp up and has a better mouth feel for a sandwich. I also recommend looking for tofu that is calcium-set as this will provide an extra calcium boost.
Veggies – When it comes to veggies, the crunchier and more colourful the better! You can totally switch up the veggies depending on what you have on hand. But for me, any good sammy has to have tomatoes, crispy lettuce, avo, and red onion.
Seasoning – To make the tofu extra flavourful, we season it with onion powder, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, and turmeric.
How to Make This Recipe
Step 1: In a pie plate, mix together the nutritional yeast, onion, garlic, turmeric, salt and pepper. Press the tofu into the mixture on both sides. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat and add the tofu. Cook on one side for 3 minutes until golden brown, then flip to the other. Repeat with the remaining tofu pieces.
Step 2: Build the breakfast sandwich by layering the avocado, tomato, onion, tofu, vegan cheese, sprouts and vegan mayonnaise on toasted bread. Top with the other slice. Enjoy!
If you don’t have a ton of time in the mornings, I would recommend meal prepping the tofu and pre-chopping the veggies so that all you have to do in the morning is reheat and assemble. Otherwise, you can do a quick shallow fry with a bit of soy sauce or tamari and call it a day.
You can also bake the tofu if you don’t want to fry it, however it won’t be as crispy.
The tofu lasts for about 3-5 days in the fridge making this vegan breakfast sandwich perfect for meal prepping. Just pre-cook the tofu and pre-chop the veggies and assemble when you are ready to enjoy.
Yes absolutely. You can pair this sandwich with your choice of gluten free bread or enjoy with a lettuce bun.
If a lettuce bun is not your think, you can also turn this into a salad to make it low-carb friendly.
Oh yes! My toddler ate this up. It’s also a great option if you are trying to get more plant-based foods into your little one.
More Recipes You Might Like
If you enjoyed this vegan breakfast sandwich, then you are going to love more sandwich recipes on the blog!
- Everything Bagel Sandwich with Avocado (Vegan)
- Avocado Chickpea Salad Sandwich (Vegan)
- Vegan Sloppy Joes with Roasted Portobello Mushroom
- Cranberry Chicken Salad with Avocado
Would you have this vegan breakfast sandwich for breakfast? What are your favourite plant-based brunch recipes lately? Let me know in the comments below!
Vegan Breakfast Sandwich with Tofu
- 8 slices 1/2” extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- Generous pinches each of salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 slices whole grain Bread toasted
- 8 thin slices red tomato
- 4 thin slices orange vegan cheese
- Vegan mayonnaise to taste
- 1 cup microgreens sprouts or lettuce
- 8 thin red onion rings
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- In a pie plate, mix together the nutritional yeast, onion, garlic, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Press the tofu into the mixture on both sides.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat and add the tofu. Cook on one side for 3 minutes until golden brown, then flip to the other. Repeat with the remaining tofu pieces.
- Build the breakfast sandwich by layering the avocado, tomato, onion, tofu, vegan cheese, sprouts and vegan mayonnaise on toasted bread. Top with the other slice. Enjoy!
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.
This is my go to egg “mcmuffin”. I just swap an English muffin for the toast. Highly recommend!!