This gluten free Grilled Watermelon and Avocado Salad with lime vinaigrette and feta cheese will become a staple at your Father’s Day BBQ.
I have lived in a condo for the last 7 years and do you know what I miss the most? My BBQ of course. So when it came time to buy a house my one criteria was that it had room for a generously sized BBQ. Okay, so let’s be honest, that wasn’t my only request. But I’ve been dying to entertain outdoors. This grilled watermelon & avocado salad will change the way you think about the grill.
Grilled Watermelon and Avocado Salad 101
Grilling doesn’t have to be reserved for steaks or burgers, though they always are excellent choices for a BBQ cook-out. Vegetables do deliciously well on the ‘Q and fruit is even better. Yes, I just told you to grill fruit. Think about it, when you add heat to something sweet, what happens? It only makes it sweeter! So throwing your watermelon on the grill like with this Grilled Watermelon and Avocado Salad will help evaporate some of the moisture and leave you with an impossibly sweet treat. Avocados are also irresistible on the grill. I love the texture they get, and the mild smokiness it imparts on their otherwise creamy dreamy flesh.
It’s pretty much the best of all worlds coming together in one amazing bowl of grilled happiness.
This Grilled Watermelon and Avocado Salad is amazing all Summer long, but specifically would make an amazing accompaniment for a Father’s Day BBQ party. I mean, we all love dad, and we know he likes his meaty mains, but sometimes you’ve got to sneak a little extra produce in there. This is a salad that even the biggest salad-phobes will adore.
What are your favourite BBQ sides and salads? Have you tried this Grilled Watermelon and Avocado Saladyet? Leave me a comment below with your thoughts and some of your go-to recipes! I would love your ideas!
Grilled Watermelon and Avocado Salad with Lime & Feta | Gluten Free BBQ Sides
- 3 avocados halved, pit removed and sliced into 1/2" thick slices
- 1/2 large seedless watermelon sliced into 1/2" thick wedges
- 1 red onion sliced into 1/4 " thick slices
- 4 tbsp mint
- 4 oz feta cheese crumbled
- 3 tsp red hot chili pepper seeded, deveined and finely minced
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat and lightly grease to prevent sticking.
- Add the watermelon, avocados and onions in batches, flipping once you see deep grill marks on each side. Remove from the grill and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once cool, dice the watermelon and avocado and add to a bowl along with the onions. Season with a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, mix together the Dijon, honey, and lime juice. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until completely emulsified and then season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the dressing over the watermelon and avocado and very gently toss.
- When ready to serve, garnish the salad with feta cheese, mint and chili peppers. Enjoy at room temperature.
Updated on March 8th, 2021
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.