These healthy peanut butter rice krispie treats are perfect after work or school snacks and were created in partnership with Peanut Bureau . They’re gluten free, vegan, and totally marshmallow-free, yet they’re super fun for adults and kids, alike!
I don’t care how old I get, sometimes I still crave those iconic rice krispie treats. When I was a kid, my mom used to make them with us because they were easy, cheap and always well received. And as much as I would just love to tuck into a big pan of melted marshmallows, rice cereal and butter, we all know that’s just asking for a sugar crash.
How to Make Healthy Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
I decided to make over our childhood favourite and keep them in the fridge for a quick 3 PM pick me up. I start by swapping regular rice cereal for brown rice cereal which adds a touch more fibre and protein. Then I boost that up even more with whole grain gluten free oats and flax seed.
Next, I forget about those sugary marshmallows and swap in some tasty natural peanut butter. I love that the peanuts give these bars some protein, fibre and healthy fats to keep me fuller longer. The result is a snack that sustains, rather than one that spikes my blood sugar and slams it back down an hour later.
Now, I believe that if you’re going to take something out of a recipe that makes it taste good, you’ve got to be prepared to add something awesome in its place. That’s where the chocolate comes into play. I add a few little bits of crunchy cacao nibs for texture right into the bars, then drizzle them with melted dark chocolate. OMG. Yes, please.
The result are a batch of fun, yet nutritious treats that everyone in the family will love. I don’t have kids, but I do have a fiancé, and when he saw the pan of healthy peanut butter rice krispie treats on the counter, he literally freaked out. Whether you have big or little kids, or it’s just you and your cat Frank, I have a feeling you’ll have a similar reaction in your house.
Have you tried these healthy peanut butter rice krispie treats? Did you grow up eating rice krispie bars? Leave me a comment below about what nutritious ingredients you would try adding into your squares!
Healthy Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats | Gluten Free, Vegan, Marshmallow-Free
- In a large bowl mix together the cereal, oats, flax and cacao nibs.
- Grease a 9x13" pan with nonstick cooking spray or oil.
- In a small pan, heat the maple syrup until it begins to gently bubble. Take it off the heat and stir in the peanut butter until fully melted. Pour it into the bowl with the cereal and stir until well coated.
- Press the mixture into the baking pan, making sure to pack it in tightly. Allow to cool completely in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in the microwave on 50% power in 30 second increments until fully melted and smooth. Using a spoon or fork, drizzle the chocolate across the bars.
- Cut into 16 squares using a serrated knife and enjoy.
Disclosure: This recipe was made in paid partnership with the Peanut Bureau of Canada, however, all opinions are genuine. This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase from the link, I make a small commission that adds no cost to you, but helps me pay for my blog! Thanks for your support.