We’re kind of going crazy over pancakes over here. These stacked & stuffed Chocolate Protein Pancakes with Cherries are gluten free, low in fat, and packed with protein. Suddenly, I’m actually looking forward to my workout!
If you’ve been following along on Abbey’s Kitchen, you’ve surely seen my love affair with all things protein pancakes. First, I wooed you with my Strawberry Cheesecake Protein Pancakes layered with a cheesecake yogurt cream and a delicious strawberry sauce. Then, came my crazy delicious Peanut Butter Banana Protein Pancakes (holy moly- they are good). But then I thought I would hit you with one more – chocolate protein pancakes with cherries.
Table of contents
Why This Recipe Works
Other than being the perfect excuse to enjoy dessert for breakfast, here are a few more reasons why you need these chocolate protein pancakes in your life:
- Contains 22g of protein per serving
- Gluten free
- Freezer friendly
- Made in 20 minutes
Gluten-Free Oats – Pure oats are gluten-free, however, more oats sold in stores are manufactured within facilities that also use gluten containing products such as wheat, barley, or rye. If you want to keep this recipe gluten-free make sure to look for the term “gluten-free” on the package.
Greek Yogurt – Greek yogurt is not only a source of probiotics but is also higher in protein compared to other yogurt varieties. In fact, 1 cup of Greek yogurt contains approximately 20 grams of protein, making it an excellent post-workout snack.
Dark Cherries – Dark cherries are rich in micronutrients, antioxidants, and fiber and make for a perfect topping to this protein pancake recipe.
How To Make This Recipe
Step 1: Add the oats to a food processor or blender and pulse until they turn into powder. Mix the cinnamon and protein powder together in the food processor.
Step 2: In another bowl, mix together the remaining pancake ingredients. Gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet and allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes.
Step 3: Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and grease with nonstick cooking spray, oil, or butter. Pour the 1/4 cup circles of batter into the pan. Once you see bubbles form around the edges, flip and continue to cook until golden brown on both sides. Keep pancakes warm on a plate tented with foil.
Step 4: Meanwhile, mix together the yogurt and honey. Set aside.
Step 5: In a small saucepan, heat the frozen cherries with the water and any additional honey, if desired. Cook until bubbly, saucy, and warmed through.
Step 6: To assemble, dollop a few spoonfuls of cream filling between the protein pancakes and garnish with the cherry sauce and shaved chocolate.
As mentioned earlier, 100% pure oats are naturally gluten-free, if you are making this for someone with dietary restrictions, make sure to buy certified gluten-free oats for this recipe.
Like with many of my other protein pancake creations, I knew the key was to start with the best quality protein. Any vanilla flavored protein of your liking will do, although I highly recommend choosing a third-party testing powder which you can read more about here.
Yes! I actually like to make a big batch of these, then store them in these reusable freezer bags to pull out throughout the week. I swear, I cannot wait to get out of bed when I know these are waiting for me for breakfast.
These chocolate protein pancakes are packed with ~22 grams of protein per serving thanks to the protein powder and the greek yogurt!
If you prefer to make these chocolate protein pancakes dairy-free, you can always sub out the milk and yogurt for your favorite non dairy alternative.
More Recipes You Might Like
Looking for more chocolatey goodness breakfast ideas like these chocolate protein pancakes, check out these fun recipes below!
- NUTELLA STUFFED PANCAKES (VEGAN & HIGH PROTEIN)
- CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BANANA PROTEIN PANCAKES | GLUTEN FREE & HEALTHY
- RED VELVET PANCAKES (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE, FOOD DYE FREE)
- SHEET PAN CHOCOLATE CHIP PANCAKES WITH BANANA & PB (HIGH PROTEIN)
Have you tried these chocolate protein pancakes with cherries? What are your favourite pancake combinations? I’m always dreaming up new ideas so let me know what protein pancake combination YOU are dreaming of and I’ll put those wheels into motion!
Protein Pancakes with Chocolate and Cherries (Gluten Free)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Genuine Health Vanilla fermented Greek Yogurt proteins+ protein powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup plain 0% Greek Yogurt
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Nonstick spray oil or butter (for cooking)
- 2 cups plain 0% Greek Yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey or to taste
- 2 cups frozen dark cherries
- 1/4 cup water
- Honey if desired, to taste
- Dark chocolate shaved
- Add the oats to a food processor or blender and pulse until they turn into a powder. Mix the cinnamon and protein powder together in the food processor.
- In another bowl, mix together the remaining pancake ingredients. Gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet and allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and grease with nonstick cooking spray, oil or butter. Pour the 1/4 cup circles of batter into the pan. Once you see bubbles form around the edges, flip and continue to cook until golden brown on both sides. Keep pancakes warm on a plate tented with foil.
- Meanwhile, mix together the yogurt and honey. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the frozen cherries with the water and any additional honey, if desired. Cook until bubbly, saucy and warmed through.
- To assemble, dollop a few spoonfuls of cream filling between the protein pancakes and garnish with the cherry sauce and shaved chocolate.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.