These Banana Cream Pie healthy ice pops were created with Kellogg’s® All-Bran Buds and tout a combination of sweet berries, a creamy banana cream base, a cereal pie “crust” that’s a high source of fibre and a decadent dark chocolate shell.
Summer is HERE and that means BBQs, picnics and rendez vous with our favourite neighbourhood ice cream truck. But you don’t have to inhale a 1000 calorie sundae to get your fix (not to mention- brain freeze!) These healthy ice pops taste like Banana Cream Pie, are speckled with colourful berries and are dipped in decadent dark chocolate. Sorry, Mr. ice cream man, it’s going to be pretty slow business this summer!
Banana Cream Pie Healthy Ice Pops with a Nutritious Twist
These Banana Cream Pie healthy Ice Pops starts with high protein Greek yogurt pureed until smooth with a sweet ripe banana. Since the banana is naturally sweet, you don’t even need to use the sweetened yogurt variety or add any additional sugar to the base. I then fold in all of my favourite colourful berries, but feel free to keep your pops purely banana or use your family’s favourite fruit.
To boost the fibre and cut sugar and fat, I whipped up a layer of pie “crust” made out of a combination of graham crackers and Kellogg’s® All-Bran Buds®. These babies offer 44% of your recommended daily fibre intake in just 1/3 cup and research suggests that psyllium fibre may help lower your cholesterol. It’s also incredibly satiating so you can enjoy your healthy ice pops and not need a snack soon after.
If that wasn’t exciting enough, once the banana cream pie healthy ice pops are frozen solid, I melt some decadent dark chocolate down and give my pops a little dip until it forms a thin crackly crust. OMG. It’s really good.
What are your favourite frozen treats? Have you tried making healthy ice pops? Leave me a comment below with your go-to ice pop combinations, and make sure to share this recipe with your friends and family!
Nutrition Information per 1 Ice Pop: Calories 210, Protein 8 g, Carbohydrate 32 g, Fat 7 g, Dietary Fibre 9 g, Sugars 17 g
Banana Cream Pie Healthy Ice Pops with Berries & Chocolate Shell
- 1 cup plain 0% Greek yogurt
- 2 small ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup strawberries finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Blueberries
- 1/4 cup Raspberries
- 1 cup Kellogg’s® All-Bran Buds® cereal
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp graham crackers crushed
- 1 Pinch sea salt
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- In a food processor, puree together the yogurt and bananas. Stir in the berries and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Kellogg’s® All-Bran Buds® cereal, honey, graham crackers and a pinch of sea salt. Set aside.
- Divide half of the yogurt mixture between 6 ice pop molds. Then add in 3/4 of the Kellogg’s® All-Bran Buds® cereal mixture. Pack the ingredients down with a spoon and add in 2 tablespoons of milk to each mold.
- Continue with the remaining yogurt, then sprinkle the last small 1/4 cup of the Kellogg’s® All-Bran Buds® cereal mixture on the yogurt.
- Insert the ice pop sticks and freeze for at least 4 hours, ideally overnight.
- Before serving, stir together the chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for 15 seconds. Remove and stir. Continue microwaving and stirring in 15-second intervals until the mixture is smooth and fully melted.
- Run the ice pop molds under hot water to easily remove the Ice Pop, then immediate dip the tops in the dark chocolate shell. Allow the shell to harden instantly and enjoy!
Disclaimer: This recipe was developed in paid partnership with Kellogg’s® All-Bran®, however, as always all opinions are genuine.
LEGAL: In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg’s® products. Results with other products may vary.