This banana nice cream recipe with pistachios and green tea makes for a refreshing snack or dessert that is made with just a handful of healthy ingredients and has no added sugar.
Ask me what my all-time favourite dessert is and I would DEFINITELY say ice cream. I would eat ice cream in a BLIZZARD and not complain. And while I have no qualms about a nightly scoop of the real deal, I sometimes need something a little more satiating and balanced for a mid-day or midnight snack. I love this banana nice cream because it combines two of my favourite ice cream flavours – pistachio and green tea into one vibrantly colourful and nourishing treat. It’s legit breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack or dessert approved.
Table of contents
Why This Recipe Works
This banana nice cream recipe is an amazing balance of sweet and savoury with massive flavour in every bite. Here are a few more reasons why this is one of my favourite nice cream recipes!
- Has no added sugar
- High protein (16 grams per serving)
- Packed with antioxidants, fiber, and healthy fats
- Can me made in a few minutes!
Pistachios– I LOVE using pistachios in this recipe because they have an amazingly satisfying crunch, creamy texture, and rich flavour. Like all pistachios, they also have a winning combination of fibre, protein and fat which helps curb my hunger between meals and at night.
Dragon Fruit– Dragon fruit is one of those fruits I’m always like “what the heck do I do with this ?!”. Even though they are delicious on their own, they pair so well with this recipe and add even more antioxidants and fiber.
Very Ripe Bananas- Using very ripe bananas in this recipe is key to getting the perfect creamy consistency! Overripe bananas are also sweeter due to the starch breakdown but are still packed with vital nutrients.
How To Make This Recipe
Step 1: Add the pistachios and oil to a high powdered mini food processor or blender and process until very smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
Step 2: Combine the cottage cheese with the bananas, matcha, agave, or honey to taste if using, and 2 tbsp of the pistachio butter. Process until smooth like frozen yogurt.
Step 3: Top with additional pistachio butter, a sprinkle of matcha, minced pistachios and fruit.
If you prefer a soft-serve consistency, you can transfer to a bowl and enjoy right away. Otherwise, If you want a scoopable ice-cream like consistency, you can transfer to a container to freeze for a few hours.
Make sure you use a high-powdered blender or food processor to process the pistachios, as we want them to be almost as smooth as butter. Otherwise, you can by-pass this step and use straight up pistachio butter in the banana nice cream, OR if you like a little crunch texture you can blend until minced.
This banana nice cream recipe uses matcha powder, it contains small amounts of caffeine. So if you do decide to share this recipe with your kiddo, be sure you do so in small amounts.
This nice cream recipe will keep in the freezer for about 2-3 months in an airtight container. However, keep in mind that it will freeze hard. So if you want a softer consistency when served, be sure to leave it to thaw for about 20 minutes to soften.
To make this banana nice cream recipe vegan you can swap out the cottage cheese and add extra banana’s. However, keep in mind that it will be lower in protein as a result because cottage cheese is the protein superstar in this recipe. But you can always add protein-rich toppings like pistachios, hemp hearts, and a drizzle of nut butter to give it a boost.
More Recipes You Might Like
If you enjoyed this banana nice cream recipe, then you absolutely HAVE to try these recipes on the blog:
Banana Nice Cream Recipe with Pistachios and Green Tea
- ½ cup shelled Roasted Unsalted Wonderful Pistachios
- 3 tbsp pistachio oil or melted coconut oil
- 2/3 cup low sodium 2% cottage cheese
- 1 cup frozen very ripe bananas
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- Agave or honey optional to taste
- Matcha powder sifted for garnish
- Roasted Unsalted Wonderful Pistachios shelled and minced
- Passion fruit raspberries starfruit, or dragon fruit
- Add the pistachios and oil to a high powdered mini food processor or blender and process until very smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- Combine the cottage cheese with the bananas, matcha, agave or honey to taste if using, and 2 tbsp of the pistachio butter. Process until smooth like frozen yogurt.
- Transfer to a container to freeze if you prefer a scoopable ice-cream like consistency, or transfer to a bowl to enjoy right away for a more soft-serve consistency.
- Top with additional pistachio butter, a sprinkle of matcha, minced pistachios and fruit.
Updated on July 14th, 2023
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.