These Keto Mozzarella Sticks make delicious Low Carb, Gluten Free Party Snacks that everyone at the party is going to love!
Remember bowling allies? Remember all the delicious (yet kind of crappy quality) food that you used to get to share with friends (along with your free-refill Pepsi, obbbbvs). Well no joke, a bowling alley inspired this recipe. Okay, and I guess the overwhelming request I’ve received for more keto friendly recipes. But let’s be real- we can all get on board with mozzarella sticks and these keto cheese sticks are as healthy as they can be since they’re made with almond flour instead of refined white breadcrumbs and make a really tasty vessel for antioxidant-rich tomato sauce.
How to Make These low carb Keto Mozzarella Sticks
This really couldn’t be easier. You remember those mozzarella cheese strings from your grade 3 lunch box? This is what you can do with them now that you’re an adult. Simply cut them into pieces and bread them in almond flour mixed with spices, and then bake or pan fry those keto mozzarella sticks until golden brown. The key to ensuring they brown up nicely before the inside cheese melts too much is to pop them in the freezer for a few minutes just to firm up.
The result is a nostalgic after school snack (or in my case, bowling alley snack) made a little bit healthier with the goodness of almonds. So these keto mozzarella sticks are also totally gluten free for my GF followers. You can also play with the different seasonings and spices depending on what you’re in the mood for or what you have on hand. Even a little salt and pepper is enough since there’s so much flavour in the cheese, almonds and tomato dipping sauce.
Now I want to know, have you tried making keto cheese sticks?
What kind of recipe would you like to see me make keto friendly or gluten free?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Keto Mozzarella Sticks
- If baking, preheat oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the beaten eggs in one bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the almond flour, parmesan, salt and spices.
- Dip the mozzarella sticks in the egg, then in the almond mixture, then in the egg and almond mixture again.
- Place the sticks in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- If baking, place the mozzarella sticks on the baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. If frying, preheat the oil in a pan over medium high heat and pan-fry until golden brown on all sides.
- Serve with tomato sauce and enjoy!
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.