This Gluten Free Sticky Chicken Breasts Sheet Pan Dinner with Sweet and Sour Sauce is a veggie-packed easy one pan meal the whole family will love.
Why I Love a Good Sheet Pan Dinner?
Bring on the sheet pan dinner recipes, #amIright? Honestly, this girl may love to cook but I ABSOLUTELY hate to clean, so if I can get everything appearing on one simply baking sheet Iâ€™m a happy girl. And since I’m hearing from you that you’re in the same boat, I came up with this amazingly tasty gluten free sticky chicken breasts sheet pan dinner. OMG, it’s good.
And yes, I know what you’re thinking. But sticky things are messy!! True, my friend, very true. But wouldn’t you rather just pop ONE sticky sheet pan and a small saucepot in the dishwasher instead of cleaning another pan for veggies on the side? Here’s my insider tip: rinse it off while the pan is still hot before the sugars caramelize and cake onto the pan. You’re welcome.
Now, if you’re just getting started with the idea of sheet pan dinners, I’ve already shared my Chinese Five Spice Shrimp sheet pan dinner, and this Vegan Chickpea and Cauliflower sheet pan dinner, but these sticky chicken breasts might just be my favourite one yet. I don’t know about you but I’m always desperately looking for ways to jazz up basic chicken breast meal prep and this is an awesome lower carb, high protein meal to do it!
Whatâ€™s in this Gluten Free Sticky Chicken Breasts Sheet Pan Dinner?
You need an amazing sticky sauce to make this sheet pan dinner extra tasty, especially since we all know chicken breasts are sometimes a bit bleh. I combine garlic, ginger, honey, ketchup, coconut sugar, rice vinegar, and tamari to get an addictive sweet, sour, and zippy sauce that gets extra sticky when baked in a hot oven.
I first give the chicken breasts a quick toss in the sauce before adding the rest to a pan, thickening it up and then drizzling it all over the chicken breasts and the veggies for the last leg of the cooking.
I like to serve these sticky chicken breasts on a bed of rice or quinoa, but for my low carb friends you can totally do cauliflower rice or just enjoy the awesome veggies that are caramelized and sticky accompaniments in this sheet pan dinner.
So friends, I would love to know what some of your favourite sheet pan dinners are?
Have you tried this Gluten Free Sticky Chicken Breasts Sheet Pan Dinner?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Gluten Free Sticky Chicken Breasts Sheet Pan Dinner with Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1/2 head Napa cabbage cut into chunks
- 2 Red Bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot peeled and cut into julienne sticks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- White and black sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place the vegetables on a large baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in a large plastic bag.
- In a bowl, mix together the garlic, ginger, honey, ketchup, coconut sugar, rice wine vinegar, and tamari. Add ¼ cup of the sauce to the chicken and toss to combine.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables, sprinkle with a pinch each of salt and pepper, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Put the rest of the sauce into a saucepan over medium low heat.
- Combine the water and cornstarch and add it to the sauce. Bring the sauce to a slight boil, then reduce the temperature to a medium low and simmer until it thickens, about 3-4 minutes.
- Drizzle the chicken and vegetables with the rest of the sauce and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the chicken reaches 165 F.
- Serve topped with sesame seeds and cilantro, if desired.
Updated on July 8th, 2020
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.